Monday, September 2, 2013

Phosie-Gertie Picnic, 2013

It was a beautiful Labor Day Sunday as we arrived via ferry on Whidbey Island.
 We arrived about 10:30 but there wasn't much action yet, as the folks who had stayed over were just getting going.  
 The kids spend a lot of time over on the bay side beach, which was crowded with kids as the tide came in.  somehow I never got my camera over there.

Once the lagoon filled up, there was some boating action here too, and just some playing around on the dock.
 We finally launched the official picnic about 3:30 with the raising of the Phosie-Gertie flag and the anthem.
 Yes, it's a construction zone.  This was one reason for the scaled down function this year.  The Phosie Clan was missing, and we were missing a few Gertie cousins too.


 The old vintage cabin, a beach original, and built by Phosie offspring, has been demolished.  The property was bought years ago by cousins in the Gertie clan, and they are now erecting the second new cabin in our compound.

 We did the water balloon toss, which I was in, so no pics, and then there was time to go out on the lagoon while food was being assembled.



And then there was eating.

 And a candy hunt for the kids.
 You've gotta' grab quick!
 There was more visiting and lots of free range kids running around.  I took a little walk as the sun set.

 Lots of cars and kid's bikes along the beach road.
 A few kids still enjoying their last few hours of freedom.


As the sun set on another family picnic, adults clustered inside to visit and eat dessert, kids roamed freely, and others took quiet walks.

Tom and I headed home after dark and a wait at the ferry dock with other tired folks who had spent a lovely day with friends and family on the island.

10 comments:

  1. I love your pictures. Whidbey Island seems like such a wonderful place for both kids and adults. If I ever get back to the Seattle area, it's definitley going to be on my "to do" list. I like to read the posts by the Whidbey Island Sketchers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picnic! I saw some of the pictures on your FB page, and the one of all of you is my favorite. Sounds like it was a good weekend for you all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love your photos of Whidbey Island -- it looks like paradise to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun Labor DAy. You had a lot of different things to keep busy. My favorite is the barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your family have the MOST fun, Linda. We had such a quiet day. Sigh. I love your photos. The food looks fabulous! It must have tasted extra wonderful outdoors with loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an idyllic retreat. Food always tastes better outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lucky that you have so much family in the state and can do cool things like this together. Last few hours of freedom...Another school year starts for me in just a few hours. Happy to see my work friends and have fun with the kids but the carefree days of summer will be over. I cannot imagine the feeling of the first September of retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a perfect weekend with great weather and family to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a flag! Looked like great weather and a good time:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.