Sunday, September 15, 2013

Winning is Fun

When it comes to soccer and football, I'm a sports fan.  I watch every play during a Sounders match.  Soccer is two 45 minute non-stop halves.

I try to watch every play when the Seahawks play, but there is so much non-playing time in football that I often have the newspaper or my lap top to occupy me when there is no action, and then I get distracted and miss plays.

Right now I am watching the Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday Night Football.  The game is winding down finally at 9:30, with a 5:30 start.  There was a 60 minute weather delay for thunderstorms just before the end of the first quarter, and a huge number of penalties during play that slowed things down even more.  
With 4 minutes to go, the Seahawks have just recovered another fumble and lead 29-3.  It has been a crazy game.

But we are winning!  This is a significant game and win over huge rivals.  

Friday night the Sounders won their soccer match over huge rivals Real Salt Lake and took over first place in the league.

Saturday the Washington State Cougars and the University of Washington Huskies won their football games.  Even Oregon State and University of Oregon won, to give the Pac NW a great sports weekend.  I didn't watch most of this, but I did pick up some of the WSU and OSU games.

Of course there were the Wolverines and the Mud Dogs too.  I did watch them on the sidelines.  Isaac's team won.  

I'll follow the Sounders and the Seahawks, win or lose.  But winning is fun!

8 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I agree. Winning is definitely more fun than not winning. However, they say you learn from your losses too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Pete Carroll and the Seahawks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I don't follow sports much, but every time I see that we have won, I think of you and smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true sports fan. Somehow I was never able to sustain the attention span. I think I burned out being dragged to all my brothers' Little League games and my father's absolute manic allegiance to sports. It was not uncommon for him to have a game on the TV, another on the radio, and a third monitored during commercial breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son once explained foot ball to me, and it made sense at the time, but it didn't stick. I still can't follow football. We were in a sports bar-type restaurant having dinner when the game started, and the crowd was very noisy, but we were amused not annoyed. It was a very festive atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard for me to not be a sports fan when the rest of the family is obsessed. But I'm like DJan who thinks of you (and my other sports fan buddies) when the local teams are playing. It's a happy Monday around here too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there's a winner then there's a loser....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lin, you made me chuckle. That's the parallel, of course - losing is NOT fun. Life is full of both.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.