Friday, February 7, 2014

A Memorable Week


It was a week ago today that I entered Virginia Mason Medical Center and underwent spinal laminectomy and fusion.

And then the fun began.  While my city around me was gearing up for the big game, I was dealing with two long nights in the hospital, but at the same time I was quite pleased with my progress.  I felt pretty good and regained mobility quickly, so I was released early, to come home on Sunday in time to watch the Super Bowl with my family.

The game is now history, old news.  Seattle won!  And I do remember the thrill of victory, even if it was muted by feeling just plain awful.

Monday I went back to the hospital emergency service to get help with my nausea and constipation.  I was in pain and mostly not from my back.

Tuesday, with the nausea under control but with no other improvement, I was on the phone with the Group Health consulting nurse, and found out I had eaten all the wrong foods from the beginning.  There was a lot to undo.  I went off the oxycondone.  

Wednesday Seattle threw a giant party.


700,000 people attended.  That included Jill and Isaac, and Jill was able to take a few photos before her phone died in the swarm of cell phone use.
 It was a beautiful day, but cold, below freezing.  They hung out at their soccer bar and watched on TV as the parade very slowly worked its way toward them through the mass of people.



 Isaac got a boosted view.

We had Irene with us and we watched on TV for hours.  Jill had managed to get a sub and pulled the kids out of school for the day.  Thousands of others did the same.

Yesterday my digestive system finally began to work.  I still have intense gas pain and pressure, but that too will eventually pass.  Without pain meds except for Tylenol it is hard to find a comfortable position. My back hurts and it's getting harder to stay in bed and get sleep.  I didn't like the lightheadedness caused by the muscle relaxer and stopped that too yesterday.  That may have been a mistake.  I'll take it again tonight.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon watching the Super Bowl over again, this time really seeing it. In the evening we sat and watched the Olympics.  Opening Ceremonies are today and I've been getting a sneak preview from Canadian TV. Expect ballet.

Yes, it has been a memorable week.  Some things I will want to forget, and some have been wonderful.  That's life, a mixed bag.

I'll need another week to get my life back to more normal activity and weeks after that until I have full movement.  But I'm on my way.

16 comments:

  1. No way would I feel comfortable in that crowd of people.
    Glad you are recovering:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are mending. The digestive system is a fragile and tempermental thing. You did well by calling and getting help. Feel better -- thinking of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that Jill and Isaac got to experience this historical moment in person. We had a lot of kids absent on Wednesday so didn't get a lot of work done which was fine with me!

    Hooray that you're at least starting to get a little relief and the healing is underway. Knowing you, you'll be out gardening next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Linda... You are one of the unlucky ones... I hope you find a balance between the pain and the pain med side-effects....hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been through a lot. Hope all the pain goes away soon! I have never seen such a crowd of people in one place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Medical treatment is a minefield. You have to look after yourself. Awesome photos of citizens appreciating the Seahawks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine what it must have been like when all 700,000 were ready to go home! I hope every day just gets better and better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know your digestive system is beginning to work again. I think that was the hardest part for me, too. I am here in Texas and it's freezing here too, and today is my sister's memorial service. I'll be home on Wednesday, with a very different trip that I envisioned. But! That Superbowl game was sure amazing, even if there wasn't even a chance for the Broncos. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine going through your ordeal, Linda. You are a courageous soul. Congrats for the Seahawk victory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've been through a lot, may the healing continue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear things are working again. I found after surgery that if I only took the pain pils at night then I could get some type of sleep otherwise-------nothing.

    The photo of the church and Baker was taken from Mann Rd. It is hard to believe that the mountain is behind the church. MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was an amazing celebration. I'm sure it was very, very exciting. Jill is quite brave for going out into that crowd, but then again, I would have done the same.

    I hope you are feeling stronger and better with each passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry I have been out of touch for a bit. Your surgery is behind you now, and I have no doubts that you will be recovered in good time. You are quite a strong person!
    My own FYI on keeping 'regular' especially if pain pills are causing constipation is taking a daily probiotic. Works great for me. Good luck in your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a distraction you had, right? Glad to hear your recovery is progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the BIG win! And thank you for sharing the celebration photos. I'm so relieved that you are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.