Saturday, February 22, 2014

Soup Saturday

The high today was about 38°, with rain and snow showers.  This is what we refer to as bone chilling - cold and damp.

Tom headed out this morning for our garden club field trip, an outing I had planned some time ago, but was now unable to attend.  I'm not quite ready for that long a trip.  They went to the Seymour Conservatory in Wright Park in Tacoma, and then to Watson's Nursery near Puyallup to learn about late winter pot plants and then have lunch in the cafe there. Tom reports that they all had a good time.

I asked him to take a few phone photos of the color display in the conservatory and send them to me.  They always have lovely seasonal displays along with the permanent tropicals in the old glass house.



Since I was house bound and it was a dreary day, I made soup.

We were introduced to Pozole when we were in New Mexico two years ago and really liked it.  It is a pork and hominy stew.  I looked at a few recipes and then came up with my own version and tried it out last fall.  We have had it several times since.
 Here's my version: 
                Pazole
1 large, thick cut pork shoulder steak
1/2 yellow onion diced
1 quart chicken stock
1 29oz can Mexican Hominy
1 small can diced green chilies
2 cups shredded cabbage
Avacado slices
shredded Jack cheese
chopped fresh cilantro

Brown the pork steak in a heavy bottom soup pot. Remove pork, add the onion to the pot and cook, using a bit of stock to deglaze the pan.  Return the pork to the pot, add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, cover and cook 2 hours.

Remove the pork to cool.  Shred the pork, discarding fat and bone.

Add the hominy and chilies to the stock.  Add more chicken stock if needed.  Bring to a low boil.  Add the cabbage and cook about five minutes.  Add the pork and heat through.

Serve in large soup bowls.  Garnish with shredded cheese, avocado and cilantro. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top.

I served mine with some orange slices and hot corn bread with butter and honey.

A great soup for a cold winter day.

( And yes, I know,  I don't usually share recipes, but my life is very dull right now and I had to find something to post about!)

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I've tried to make posole (I've always seen it spelled this way in Pueblo, but I see both spellings are correct). I even have have several recipes from supposed good sources, but the recipes were dull and not so very flavorful. Your's sounds really good. I will have to try it. The avocado and cilantro on top really looks good.

    You must be feeling better to do this cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE posole!!! I will try your recipe sometime soon. I have never had it with cabbage in it but I will give it a try. In the southwest there are about as many ways to make posole as their are cooks making it. Yours looks very good! Please tell Tom thank you for the photos. I love those beautiful flowers. Sometime please write all about your trip to New Mexico, or are their posts I might be able to find?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our trip to New mexico is documented in post starting October 11, 2011. Look on my blog archive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you shared. This looks just perfect for cold weather. You appear to be a great cook and perhaps you should share more. Sorry you are housebound, but with spring just around the corner you should be in better health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom took some really nice photos, and that posole does look good, other than the pork which I don't eat, I would dive right into it! Glad you are listening to your body and not overdoing it quite yet. We have snow on the ground here in Bellingham, but not a lot, maybe two or three inches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your meal looks gorgeous--good enough to eat is an expression my father always used. Keep mending. Tom will need help in the garden soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, one of my favorite dishes. Even the littlest grandbabies in our family like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yum! Am always looking for something different to serve! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet hubby was happy to return to such a festive soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever had pozole, but it looks delicious! I'm sorry you missed the garden club outing. I'm glad Tom could go and take photos for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried avacado or cilantro...not sure I would like either but you never know. The flower photos that Tom took sure are pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll trade ypou my cold winter day for your cold winter day! It's minus 22 C here at 11:13 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What pretty pictures of the flowers and food. You sure do know how to enjoy life despite being cooped up at home. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flowers make me wish for spring even more! The Soup looks delicious...it is so pretty with the orange slices. How funny! I spent yesterday with a lady who recently moved here from Albuquerque, New Mexico. I will go back and read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really made great use of a down day. That soup looks marvelous and I just copied the recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your garden club was in my hood! The conservatory is only a five minute walk from my house. Soup would be perfect for such a cold wet day! I tried to work outside but it was not much fun so I stayed inside and bathed all of the dogs instead.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.