Sunday, February 16, 2014

How The Olympic Games Are Saving My Sanity

I stayed in bed for over six hours last night, and slept most of that time!

That's a first in what seems like a very long time.

As I was working in my first week of recovery to get my digestive system functioning, I slept well for a few nights as I recovered from those nights in the hospital.  Then sleep began to desert me, to the point that I could only stay asleep for an hour at a time.  To change position I had to have help repositioning pillows that had me wedged in on either my right or left side.  I had to roll over without twisting my spine.  All of this was laborious.  And then I would lay there awake until I couldn't stand it anymore.  I would get up and go downstairs. So some nights by 3:00 I was in my recliner or on the downstairs couch, sleep still alluding me.  

Did you know the Olympics are on somewhere on the NBC spectrum or Canadian CBUT all night long, and all day too?  Thank God.  I turned them on to whatever sport was happening, much of it live action.  Josy Fuzzbutt, very confused as to why I was getting up in the middle of the night, would sit on me and purr.  I appreciated her comforting company.

By early this week I called my primary care doctor for help.  I have no experience with sleep aids, choosing to just work through previous bouts in insomnia.  But this was getting serious.  Even napping during the day was difficult.  And because I was not on pain meds, it was hard to be really comfortable in any position.  My doctor prescribed Trazodone, an antidepressant used as a sleep aid.  I had to chuckle when I read the warning on the label, " May cause drowsiness". I hope so!

It took three days to start working as a sleeping aid, but of course the blurry vision started right away.  It's a good thing I have a Paperwhite Kindle, on which I can adjust the light and read in the dark, and adjust the font size to large.  That too helped keep me sane.  I just finished reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham and I'm starting Inferno by Dan Drown.

Right now I'm typing on my lap top and watching curling.  I have already watched most of what will be shown on  prime time tonight so I can switch over to Downton Abby.  We went for a walk this  morning, about 1.3 miles, and that's about as far as I can manage for now.  I am at the point where I can be detrimental to my recovery by doing too much, reaching too far, bending or twisting a bit too  much.

Yes, recovery is a bitch.  But then I am not a very patient person when it comes to being restricted.  And restricted I must be.  With rods and screws in my spine, and bone grafting just getting started, I have no option but to be much more sedentary than I want to be.

Thank  goodness for the Olympics!

18 comments:

  1. I hope you're able to get caught up on your sleep, and that this healing process continues quickly for you. Glad you have the Olympics and are diverted by it. If I were in your shoes, it would be reruns of Criminal Minds for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are having your own recovery olympics non stop 24/7...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed having your own recovery Olympics, Linda! I do send good thoughts -- I would be in a real mess -- I've never watched TV for more than a few minutes every now and then. I could never watch it sick or well!! Take care and I hope you are back to whatever is normal and comfortable for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you had the Olympics to watch. As I watch i think of you and a few other people that I know are watching the same thing at the same time. I am not a real big TV watcher. Since I am hearing impaired I have to read the captioning on my screen, which means I can't do something else at the same time... and I hate to just sit and watch TV. Now sitting and reading a book I can do days on end. Glad you have the Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you have something to keep you amused in the wee hours. Hopefully that drug will do the trick for you. I recently had trouble staying sleep and it is frustrating. The more you want it the less you get. Hope you find comfort and long nights asleep soon. Till then, enjoy the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fortuitous timing for a recovery! I've tried to watch TV in the middle of an insomniac episode, and have found NOTHING worth watching even with "America's favorite 250 channels plus HBO and Cinemax".

    Hang in there - recovery will come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recovery time seems endless, but it isn't. Glad you have an Olympic distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so glad to hear you got some sleep! I just had a long period of insomnia that drove me to the doc for a sleeping pill. Glad you have TV and books on Kindle to keep you sane. Also, re: my front garden. My back garden is very much a combo of Northwest natives and other plants that fit in. But the front is going to be like Monty Python -- something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also am thankful for anything that keeps you from becoming coming completely stir crazy. My husband had the same problems as you had with sleep after his surgery. It was disrupted for a very long time.

    Did you enjoy Sycamore Row? I really did enjoy that book. My daughter thought the ending was not good, and she said she had it all figured out way too early. I couldn't disagree with her in many ways. I also figured it out all too early, but I really did enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read at night and watch TV sometimes at the same time. I have had insomnia for years..after awhile you just get used to it. I have been watching Olympics at night too...it is a nice interlude from regular TV. Keep on staying calm so you can heal:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just cannot even imagine how difficult it must be to keep the energizer bunny from going and going and going. Just keep reminding yourself that the aggravation of enforced inactivity now will benefit your future mobility.
    Personally, I would take full advantage. Do you have a bell to ring to summon Tom when you need something?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Six hours of sleep doesn't sound like much for a healing body, Linda. I do hope this works for you, since you really do need sleep to recover from this surgery. Glad to know the Olympics is helping you. I got quite bored watching the cross-country relay yesterday. Curling? I don't even understand it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you will recover completely eventually and all of this will be a distant memory. Take care and keep up the positive outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Healing takes time. Be good to your precious body and be patient with this healing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you are going through this misery, Linda. I've been trying to get a bunch of stuff done right now, but can't stay away from the Olympics. I hope your healing goes faster now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although it seems like it's taking forever, your recovery will be a memory before you know it! I'm glad to hear that you'll be able to catch up on sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having had some pretty hairy surgery two years ago, I understand the physical complications of sleeping. I'm so grateful now that I can sleep on my side - can't imagine how I managed those many weeks flat on my back. At least my meds were humdingers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This too shall pass...hang in there..I am watching curling too.. hugs

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.