Greetings from Seattle

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Unexpected Events

Tom and I have spent quite a bit of time in and around Harborview Medical Center in Seattle the last two days. 

We got a text late Tuesday night saying Jake was being transported to Harborview with a broken ankle, the result of a mishap during his soccer game that evening.  

We kept up with developments that night, and then Wednesday morning we went in to see him and to pick up things he would need while in hospital.
Upon arrival at Emergency, doctors worked on his ankle to set it and restore proper circulation.  On Wednesday he awaited surgery to have screws and plates placed in his ankle. 

While we were waiting, we explored the view from the hospital view terrace. 

Jake thought he might have the surgery late Wednesday, but that didn't happen.  There was no room on the schedule. We came home and Jake finally got to eat about 7:30 that evening.

Surgery was back on for early this morning, Thursday, so we hurried to be there, only to find Jake still in his bed in the emergency ward.  Surgery would not happen until at least Monday.  His ankle would be checked out to be sure it was stabilized for nerve function, circulation and no presence of infection.  Then he would wait to have a visit by the physical therapist to ensure that he could manage mobility on crutches.  This would take from 10:00 in the morning until about 2:00 in the afternoon.

Tom and I decided to spend the day in the city rather than go back home and then return later.  Traffic into the city is not fun. 

We walked down hill from the hospital and caught the light rail to University Station and access to the Harbor Steps.
 It was heating up outside so we chose routes in the shade, like Post Alley. 
 We visited some of our favorite shops near The Market, like this Northwest Indian gallery, 
 and this quilting shop.
 We walked through the Pike Street Market, enjoying the flowers and the produce. 

 It was very crowded, it being tourist season.  We moved on back up hill to Westlake Center.

 The water feature was refreshing. 

 Lots of people were getting lunch from the food trucks in Westlake Park, but we chose to go to a much less crowded, cool and dark brew pub in Pacific Place, where we enjoyed a quiet, slow lunch.

We followed that up with Starbucks frappuccinos before using light rail and a metro bus to take us back up the hill to the hospital, where Jake was in the process of getting discharged.  

Nothing happens fast in this process, but sometime before 3:00 we had him in the car and on his way home, where he demonstrated to us that he could manage the stairs and take care of himself.  

We went off to get him some groceries and then left him in the care of the household kitties until his roommate gets home.  

It is over 90 degrees today.  We are getting tired of the heat. We finally turned on our air conditioning yesterday, set to 74, which keeps the downstairs comfortable, but the upstairs, where we sleep, is hot.  Box fans will be blasting again tonight. 

We HOPE that Jake's surgery actually happens on Monday.  I'll keep you posted. 


  1. I'm sorry to hear about the broken ankle and I hope Jake recovers quickly and that there are no complications along the way. It's pretty spectacular what they can do these days.

  2. Oh poor Jake and during the summer too!!

  3. Gee, that is awful. I hope they don't postpone the surgery again!

  4. sorry about the accident, fun to see you being a tourist in our hometown!

  5. Poor Jake! I'm so sorry... I hope he's not in too much pain. This reminds me so much our our son. Sigh...

  6. You made the most of an unfortunate situation. Good luck to Jake, bless his heart!

  7. Double crap. What an awful experience and why is the medical work taking so long? Is this normal? Or is this the new normal? Glad he is young and optimistic and has a roommate! I remember touring that lovely area many years ago. The market would keep me poor.

  8. I saw this on your Facebook page but certainly thought the surgery would be done by now. It's probably because it's a holiday weekend that it's taking so long, don't you think? I am SO TIRED of this heat and didn't sleep well again last night. We don't have A/C and could certainly use it today. At 5:30am it's still 74 degrees in the apartment, fans blasting. I sure hope Jake gets back to himself soon.

  9. What a trial for Jacob and his parents. I hope it will be taken care of without further delay.
    (Of course had he had the good sense to go to Seattle Grey instead of the Harborview, I am sure he would be out dancing for the holiday weekend)

    Seattle is a beautiful city. It is on my list.

  10. Sorry to hear about Jake's ankle! Hope the surgery happens soon!

  11. Sorry to hear about the broken ankle, hopefully he will be on the mend soon. The stroll you took us on around the city was a feast for the eyes.

  12. I'm so sorry to hear about Jake's broken ankle. How painful that must have been I loved seeing downtown Seattle. Hope the surgery goes well.

  13. Seems like a hospital with problems not enough Orthopedic Surgeons or Operating Rooms. I would have taken him to a different hospital after the first delay. I almost lost my leg after a similar break back in 1979....I didn't walk for six months....I still have the leg but it is a bit gimpy:) I hope Jake gets the surgery he needs and recovers completely:)

  14. How very worrisome those days must have been, and how very worried you still must be, having to wait and wait for the surgery. I hope it happens as scheduled, and is successful, and that he heals quickly. Virtual hugs to both of you!

  15. Goodness, what a run around Jake is getting. He had to fast twice and still no surgery. Hope all goes well when he finally does get it and he heals quickly.

  16. May Jake heal well and quickly. I loved the flower shop photos in particular though not sure why I'm drawn to floral displays.


I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.