Monday, December 28, 2015

Going to a Seahawks Game

Jill is a first year season ticket holder for the Seattle Seahawks Football Team.  She has three seats. She sells half of the home games, to pay for the tickets, and then uses the other games for herself and her kids or guests. 

Sunday Irene didn't want to go, so I did. Isaac and Jill and I braved the 35 degree snow/rain and took the light rail to the stadium.  We were well layered up for the weather.


It took me a while to get my bearings from our perch high up in the southeast section.  For Sounders games I sit on the west side, so everything was backwards. 
 We made it through the crowds and into our seats in time for the opening ceremonies. 
I had to learn all the rules for live viewing. You stand and make noise when the Seahawks are playing defense, and sit down and watch quietly ( with a few groans, unfortunately) when they are playing offense. You watch the guy on the field with orange sleeves to know when we are on commercial break, and when he waves his arms, play can resume. 

When there is no action on the field, you can study your surroundings, and the view. (And play with your phone.)

Unfortunately our boys did not play well against the St Louis Rams, and we lost the game. As people began a mass exodus well before the game was over, we hung around to watch the Seahawks score one last touchdown, blow the onside kick, and with 18 seconds to go, we turned our backs and worked our way through the throngs out and into the city. 
It wasn't the best game to watch for Seahawks fans, but it was an interesting opportunity. It's definitely easier to watch the game at home on our big screen TV, but there is an attraction to experiencing the atmosphere of a live game with nearly 70,000 other fanatics. 

A few more reasons to cheer would have been nice. 

12 comments:

  1. I was sad they lost, but yesterday was a pretty dismal day overall. The rain will be gone for awhile now, though. Sunshine for days ahead! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a sports person but having 3 sons has made me somewhat aware ( I hope). Their general view is also that it's nice to watch in the comfort of your own livingroom but actually being at the game is a blast. Too bad your team lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's much more tension when you're in the stands. When you watch the game on TV you can walk away sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that sounds like fun, but I wouldn't want to go to every game. It is so much easier, and warmer, to watch the game from home. I'm glad you had the experience and the fun. Sorry about the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still amazed at the size of that stadium. I would probably panic looking down! I so much enjoyed your Christmas posts. I slipped away from our company last night and enjoyed Christmas with your family. Everything is beautiful there, your family and your home. I'm sure you've heard that our team, the Panthers, lost their first game. Poppy thinks it may have been because he was wearing his new Panthers jersey and cap that Santa brought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you all love the same sport and the home team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to dig myself out of confusion there! I guess I was thinking of your support of Sounders, you know, real football!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd choose home, warmth and tv to watch....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting perspective on the game. I'm definitely not an active sports fan, but like some of your other friends, have picked up a lot through osmosis from the sports fans in the family. Definitely a benefit to change the channel when things go horribly awry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had to listen to the game on the radio! Tucson TV isn't interested in Seattle games, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Watching the game in 35 degree weather is not my idea of fun. I'm saying this because I was at a Cubs game in the nosebleed section once and felt like I was going to freeze to death. You are TRUE fans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was at a Vikings and SF 49'ers game once...my nephew was a kicker for the 49ers in a pre season game and then he was not offered a contract. I would never go again, way too many people for me:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.