Thursday, October 5, 2017

It Must Have Been the Full Moon, and other stuff.

It must have been the full moon that made the raccoons go crazy last night. This is how the lawn looked this morning. 

So I have given up on trying to patch it back together each day. We have not been watering the lawn for several weeks now, and the rolled up sod is dying, so today I just starting gathering it all up and putting it in the compost bin. We'll have a big replanting job to do when the rainy season finally returns, but there is no sign of that happening yet. And of course replanting won't happen as long as the raccoons come to play each night. 
We saw that big harvest moon in the sky as we were returning from dinner out,  celebrating the twins, Tom and Jan's 76th birthdays.
We all had yummy sea food and Tom especially enjoyed his oyster shooters. None of the rest of us do raw oysters. But we did have fancy drinks. 
This week has passed very quickly, I guess because we have been busy. Each day Tom and I go for our exercise walk, 3.35 miles. I am back to doing my physical therapy inspired floor exercises, trying to keep the creeping arthritis in my hip and knee at bay. 

We have spent a lot of time and energy in the yard this week, beginning the fall clean up. for me that involves lots of crawling around on hands and knees, trying to limit the amount of bending over, which is hard on my back. I am stiff and sore this evening. 

We also have plenty of youth sports activities to attend. Isaac and Irene are both playing soccer on the weekends. Last weekend Isaac had a game on both Saturday and Sunday that had us traveling north and south.

Isaac is playing keeper for half of the game and right midfield the other half. 

Jill is the assistant coach. 
And Irene is participating in middle school track. Today was her first meet. It was a beautiful day, close to 70 degrees. Irene did the long jump, the 100 meter dash, and the 4x100 relay. 

Getting set for the 100 meter dash. 

 Irene looked good, closed the gap on the lead runner, and almost caught her at the line. 
 And then she congratulated everyone. 
 She managed to get long jumps in between her running events. Here is her team getting ready for the 4x100 relay. 

 Her team asked her to be the anchor, but there was no making up the gap. She finished strong anyway. 
Track and soccer are two of my favorite sports to watch, and of course I'm watching some of my favorite people too. 

And that's what we have been up to. 

14 comments:

  1. The Reeder family is looking good. I am totally appalled by the damage those raccoons are doing. That is so bad. I admire your faithfulness to exercise and walking to keep arthritis from getting the best of you. It really will take you down if you don’t fight back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the racoons coming from? Are they afraid of lights, i.e. motion sensor LED lights? I just got a battery operated porch light that I use on my steps. My newest favorite toy.

    I used to love watching our kids play soccer or sports. Congrats on such a wonderful full life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nasty beasts with the lawn. Looks like you are keeping very fit with good long walks and enjoying watching important games to cheer on your own folks. Glad all is well for you for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated birthday wishes for your hubby and his twin sister.
    Those raccoons seem to be getting worse and worse all the time! Your lovely yard is being churned up and you need help ( I wonder if the pest exterminator has ever had to deal with raccoons!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how fun good weather and talented grandkids...too bad about the raccoons can they be trapped and taken far away by city dept people? If not, you'll have that same problem year after year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a full and rich life -- although I am quite sure you wouldn't mind thinning those raccoons out of it.
    I remember treating my lawn with something (nemotodes?) to get rid of grubs so the critters had nothing to dig for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post reminds me that getting old is not for sissies. Happy birthday to the two good looking people, and thanks for the pictures of Isaac and Irene showing their sports prowess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It' really sad what the raccoons are doing to your yard. It's so very destructive. We don't have raccoons yet, but they have been seen in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Tom and Jan! Sorry that your raccoons continue to play with your lawn - yuk. It's nice to be able to watch Irene and Isaac to take your mind off those masked bandits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Tom and his twin! I sometimes wonder what retirement with Nigel will be like, and I figure I have you two as a model (although Nigel doesn't garden). You know I commiserate on what the raccoons are doing to your lawn. Sorry it looks so horrible. At least they aren't uprooting the plants in the beds. You have such a good, strong, athletic grand-daughter! I hope she does well in track.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a shame about your beautiful garden, it must be soul destroying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen such damage like those raccoons are doing. Sheesh. Probably best to quit the fight. Hope they don't go after your plants when the grass is gone.
    Happy Birthday to the twins. Somehow I missed that Tom was a twin. How neat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such fun seeing kids do healthy activities and enjoying themselves which the rest of us stress over the news. I did not know racoons were so destructive. We have them here by they just get into the garden and eat the veggies and fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't get over how tall your grandkids are now. Wow! They were beautiful babies and now they are gorgeous teens... or almost teens? Happy Birthday to Tom!

    It was skunks in Illinois that used to damage our lawn. They were looking for grubs.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.