Sunday, May 13, 2018

Rhododrendrons

After leaving Coupeville we drove back down island. Our first stop was a little county park off the highway dedicated to the native rhododendron, our state flower. 





 Then it was on to Meerkerk Gardens, a display garden on the grounds of the former home of Max and Ann Merkerk, who collected and hybridized rhododendrons on their woodland property beginning in the 1960's.  The garden was left to the Seattle Rhododendron Society in 1979.

 The display garden near the entry is much more recently planted by the Rhododendron Society. 






 But back farther, towering rhodies are part of the original Meerkerk collection. 








 I found myself most taken by the orange and yellow varieties. 







 Lots of interesting ground covers underlay the rhodies. 








 Down in the ravine are ponds

 and the big leaf rhodies. 
 Logging from long ago is indicated by the spring board holes in the old stumps. Using hand crosscut saws, the loggers stood on spring boards to get above the flare of the stump to cut old growth. 














And with that we ended our day of exploring and returned to the cabin with take out food for an easy dinner while we sat and read and continued our day of leisure. 

And now it is five days later, and Mother's Day! I hope you all enjoy your day, being, celebrating and remembering mothers. 

18 comments:

  1. I love rhododendron but they are as ugly when their blossoms wilt as they are beautiful when they’re fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhododendrons too - I didn't realize there was a whole park dedicated to them. What a beautiful display and a perfect time to visit. We bought about 100 rhodies when the rhododendron farm in Marysville went out of business several years ago, and we have enjoyed them so much. Easycare required and they perform their beauty and get bigger and more beautiful every year. I try to deadhead all of them, but it is a bigger job every year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to you Linda. I did not know that rhododendrons are Washington's state flower. They are beautiful! We had one struggling to grow here for a while, but it finally died. We have clay soil, maybe that's the reason. Enjoyed all the pictures. I was about to leave a comment on your last post, yesterday, but was interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, meant to say how much I love your header. All the wisteria is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day Linda! I enjoyed seeing these pictures from your visit to the Meerkerk Rhododendron Garden, and learning about the springboard holes. We should get back to Whidbey some weekend, there is so much we missed when we visited several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhododendrons are lovely but take up a lot of room. That's probably why we've never planted any here.
    Hope your Mothers Day is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures and such a variety of colors. Happy Mother's Day Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rhodies are all in bloom around town, and your pictures show me a few varieties I've not seen before. Wonderful photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! They look like bunched up azaleas to me - so pretty! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhododendrons are a very showy and attractive flower. We see very few of them here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful. Rhododendrons are not in bloom yet around here. I will have a good bloom of lilacs very soon by the looks. The rhododendrons will come after that,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somany beautiful rhodos. I have not had as much luck with mine, but I am trying to baby them along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never met a Rhododendron until today. They are just lovely and like you I loved those orange/yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like a garden full of rhododendrons in bloom. Gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to see colorful blossoms everywhere around the garden. It has a wonderful path way to go for a walk.
    Beautiful small pond in the middle of the beautiful flowers. Eagle statue at the top of the stone looks nice in middle of these blossoms:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I especially enjoyed the yellow ones! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.