Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Pacific Bonsai Museum

On Sunday we took advantage of a mild sunny day to visit three gardens not far from home. The first is the Pacific Bonsai Museum on what was formerly the Weyerhaeuser campus in Federal Way, WA. 

Not actually a garden, this museum is an outdoor display of living art. There are about 150 bonsai in the collection, 60 of which are on display at one time. It is one of the largest and most diverse collections in the world. 

The walk from the parking lot to the Bonsai Museum lets you know you are heading to a special place. 


 Some tropical trees are in an enclosed glass house. My glasses and camera lens immediately steamed up in there. 
 Out in the bright sunlight, we first see this Juniper from Taiwan, trained as a bonsai since 1959.

 This upright tree with a blue painted background reminds me of the Cascadia flag. 






 Most of these trees are quite large, and all are masterworks of art. 








 This Satsuki Azalea has been "in training" since 1910. 

 With Tom in the picture you can get a correct idea of the size. 
 Many of these trees have wonderful old trunks. 



This azalea dates from 1800. 


 Here you can get an idea of the wonderful woodland setting of this museum. 
 This Japanese yew dates from about 1700. It was probably found in the wild as an already old tree and made into a bonsai, but that date is unknown. 




 This is a climbing hydrangea. Ours climbs up a fir tree. This one has been severely controlled, not allowed to become a vine, and has instead become a lovely bonsai. 

Some call these tortured trees. In a sense they are, but they are also a wonderful art form, but one that takes constant care to keep them alive, in shape, and healthy. 

17 comments:

  1. Amazing. Thanks for this bonsai tour. Extremely interesting. I don’t have the patience to grow bonsai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonsai are fascinating & it's nice to have such a fine collection so close to home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So impressive! There used to be a restaurant here, Pearl City Tavern. On the rooftop, the owner had a display of all his bonsai plants, some with fruits, flowers, foliage. They were so gorgeous they made me want to cry. So I decided to try my hand at it but I was not patient or diligent enough and the poor little plants did not make it. The only ones that are doing okay are my bouganvillea "trees" that require so little care except for an occasional trim.

    For the house, I bought a little plastic bonsai that looks pretty real from Ross. Nothing like the real thing, but at least it is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am leaing myself a comment to see if it will come to me via email. This is a test.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love bonsai. Never want to try one, just want to enjoy them. Really liked the one with driftwood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not thought about tortured trees before, just have appreciated the constant care and attention it takes. I think they are quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Techniques used are about as interesting as the plant that takes shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are amazing. A friend I worked with in Raleigh, before I retired, asked if I would water her husband's Bonsai collection while they were away on vacation. I was a nervous wreck, but went to their house every day during lunch hour and checked on his little trees. I suppose all of them survived. Hopefully I didn't do anything to hurt them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bonsai trees are quite something. I'm glad Tom was in the picture or I wouldn't have known just how large some of them were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I know Tom really likes Bonsai I bet he had a fun day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonsai are like miniature worlds. I would not be successful, I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an accidental bonsai - a little fir tree in a small pot on the deck that somehow continues to stay alive - I do nothing to it but during the hot weather I give it some water. And I have an intentional bonsai poinsettia - in a tiny pot that I pinch back and check for water once a week. Somehow it has adjusted and has very small leaves. I am not much of a gardener so these two amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, fantastic the shapes and textures...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always amazed by bonsai. Thanks for sharing your tour. I didn't know there were bonsai as large as the one Tom was standing beside. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are absolutely awesome. I had to call Art to look at them. So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Art just said, “Holey cow! Wow!”

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.