Friday, November 2, 2018

Back Where They Belong

It has been at least ten years since I have worn my wedding rings. I took them off for several reasons.  I had gained a lot of weight and actually had my first wedding band cut off. We replaced it with a thinner, bigger band.  Then  arthritis attacked my hands, leaving them swollen and with enlarged knuckles. One day I forced my rings off while I still could, and put them away in a drawer. 

Arthritis was a constant attacker in my hands until I had my back surgery four years ago. I couldn't take anti-inflammatory NSAIDs for six months, but surprisingly, my hands stopped being "hot" and settled down. I had also lost weight. While my knuckles stayed enlarged the pain and swelling were gone. Of course, the arthritis struck with a vengeance in other places, but not my hands. 

I had been thinking about my rings in this, our 50th year of marriage, and finally decided to do some research and see what could be done. I read about different kinds of ring expanders and hinges, and then went on line to locate a local independent jeweler who might be able to do the work. I found one in our nearby town of Burien. 

I got my rings out of the drawer, took them in, and the jeweler advised me on what kind of fix would be best for me. I want to be able to take them off easily, since I don't wear them when I am gardening or doing heavy or messy work. 

It took a while, but there was no hurry. Last week my rings were ready for pick up. They are fused together, and there is a slide mechanism that allows for expanding and then closing once I get the ring over my knuckle. 


Now my ring(s) are back where they belong, on my finger. 

That makes me happy. 

19 comments:

  1. That is amazing. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I did not know rings could be repaired in that manner for those that have arthritis. That is wonderful and could help so many people. Your rings are gorgeous and I'm so happy you can wear them again. Congratulations on the coming 50th anniversary - now that will be a celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am so happy for you! And for your 50 years together! —Karen Whelan

    ReplyDelete
  4. My rings had to be cut off my swollen arthritic finger and they're still in an envelope in a safe place. I have thought of having them 'fixed' in a manner similar to what you had done but haven't done it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My arthritic fingers won't allow rings either. Looks like you found a solution:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how clever, didn't know they had such things...my hubby doesn't wear his wedding ring so I wear it on my right hand...hate to put it away forever in a drawer somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a terrific idea. I like the locks that keep them in place as well. I may look into this for my fiftieth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An excellent fix. I have wondered about this too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, LInda. And yes, they are now where they belong. I stopped wearing my wedding ring twenty years ago and have never missed having them on my fingers. But then again, I had much less attachment to it than if I'd been married to the same man for fifty years! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last sentence is key. I haven't put my ring on for probably 40 years as I was taking it off to work outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve never heard of such a creative way to fix rings for arthritic fingers. I’m impressed by such workmanship. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story about your rings. It is funny how even the rings in a long term marriage write their very own story of change, adaptability, and enduring love. They are beautiful and it is heartwarming to see them side by side on your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful solution. I have similar hands and gave up wearing rings. I will have to check with a jeweler to see if I can get mine adjust like that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so clever! I'm glad you're able to wear your rings again. I never wear my diamond any more because I garden so much. I can still get my wedding ring on and off, but I fear some day I may have to resort to something like this, because of arthritis. Congrats on 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this! My husband has stopped wearing his ring because of arthritis, I am going to look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am thrilled for you. Mine are really tight and I am unable to get them off. The next step is obviously needed (cutting them off) but I was trying to avoid this. Now I know that there are alternatives it makes the decision easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! Congratulations on your upcoming 50th anniversary. That is an incredible accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How nice! I have a simple band for my wedding ring and never take it off - it would actually be very difficult because of my enlarged knuckles. I like wearing it - makes me feel complete.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you found a workable solution and can now wear your rings again!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.