Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Two-Day Jobs

Tom works quite vigorously most days out in the yard. In the last few weeks he has rebuilt the raised bed garden boxes, and dug out and refreshed the rock pathways between them.


All of this took many days of work. You see that he has the hoop houses covered now. All of his bonsai are now under cover. 

That led him to his next job.
This bonsai bench is under-planted with black mondo grass and gold Angelina sedum, but it is being overtaken with sweet woodruff and the color combination is no longer defined.


So it was time to dig it all out and start over. 
 He dug out a huge amount of plant material, re-set the bench, and the had to sort through all of the mats of roots to separate the mondo grass, the sedum, and the woodruff and grass. Then he cut off some big nursery pots, sunk them into the ground and planted the mondo grass in them to prevent it from running. 
 Salvaged sedum starts were them planted around the mondo grass clumps. Tom spent two days on this job. It should look great by the middle of next summer. 
Then he potted up all of the extra mondo grass starts. Maybe we should use them to replant the lawn where the shade has turned it to moss? Hmmm. Would that work? 

Meanwhile, I have, out of necessity, had to limit my "vigorous" garden activity, but I can still get down on my knees and crawl around. I took on the island bed in the lower yard.
 Over two days I clipped and weeded the bed.
 Then I raked up leaves in the secret garden and used them to mulch the bed.

 I re-cut and cleaned up the edges. We haven't had a frost yet so our hydrangeas are still giving us color. 

I'll be back out here to finish the clean up once all of the leaves have finally fallen. 

Tom is back outside again today, doing little jobs here and there. I'm inside. My every day starts with my PT exercises. Monday we did housework. Yesterday I was outside. Today I am resting my back and went grocery shopping. I spent enough to get a free turkey!  It will go into the freezer for Christmas. We are traveling to my sister's for Thanksgiving.

After I post this blog, I'll study my next little sewing project. I am creating table runners and table toppers as indoor projects to keep me busy. I finished one last week while Tom was working outside. 

I wish I could work as hard outside as I used to, but I'm having to adjust to reality. Sometimes reality bites. 

14 comments:

  1. All that wonderful outdoor work will indeed be much appreciated by summertime. Tom is definitely a hard worker, as are you! I love your beautiful gardens and look forward to seeing them in other seasons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to do what you can do, you have a massive amount of gardens. We used to have many gardens...but it was just not worth it to keep fighting the woods and weeds....I am happy with the wild gardens and their wildness. Tom like to keep busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s quite evident how well the two of you work together and how much you love working together outside. I’m sorry your activity has limits now. As you say, reality bites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slowing down is part of the aging process and adjusting our expectations, yet you both do so much work to keep your yard looking like a masterpiece...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will always find something interesting to keep you going. You still have good fall weather for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of you work so hard. I'm always amazed by how much you get done. Your yard reflects all that hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder your garden always looks so beautiful. You and Tom work so hard to maintain it.
    I feel your pain as to not being able to do all you want to do in the garden. It is so frustrating when the body doesn't keep up with the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom is such a neat worker. It is amazing how rebuilds, sorts through the plants, and then puts everything back just perfect. Of course, you are like that too. Your gardens are beautiful. Linda, I so understand what you are going through. There are so many big jobs I want to start on outside. Knowing I need to be careful with my back and my osteoporosis sure is disheartening. I need to hire a handyman for a week or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hard work but it seems to pay off. Your yard is outstanding and you have shown me why mine looks barely contained!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again I am so impressed by the hard work that goes into those beautiful gardens -- has to be a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though I have gardened most of my life, when I see your amazing garden, I am not fully aware of how much work it takes to maintain. You two really do put in the time and labor for the reward of your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could help you with gardening. Getting my hands into soil and plants makes me feel complete.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's a lot of work in your garden! I like your idea of making a mondo grass lawn. It'll look wonderful with a carpet of moss at it's feet. Sorry that your gardening is restricted now. That really does bite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your yard is so lovely! It is clear that it takes a lot of work to keep it looking as it does. I hope your PT helps ensure you're able to work as you'd like, whether outdoors or indoors.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.