Monday, August 3, 2020

A Lost Week

I see that I posted a week ago Sunday, and that was about my kids hiking. I wasn't saying much about myself, and that's how it was for the next week.

I have had complications with my recovery, first dealing with nerve pain, and then serious digestive issues that landed me in Urgent Care last Tuesday, getting re hydrated. With medication we got the vomiting under control and the diarrhea ran itself out - literally. My on call Doctor said give it the weekend, and I have. I am feeling better enough to at least function now. There are still issues, but my surgery is healing well and the nerve pain stopped. I had my sutures out last Tuesday. 

Tom has been wonderful. To try to distract me, he picked dahlias that are now freely blooming in the garden and I spent some time arranging bouquets for the house, something I love to do. It helped a bit. 

Those bouquets are fading now. We'll do some fresh ones tomorrow.

The garden is producing zucchini, green beans, and lettuce. As I have improved, Tom and I have been cooking dinners together and using our fresh vegetables. We also have our first ripe tomatoes, and they will be coming on fast now.
Saturday morning, when I finally had enough energy to try, Tom and I gave myself a little haircut. I trimmed the front and sides, and then encouraged him to chop away at the neckline, saying it couldn't look any worse that it did. 

On Sunday morning, after another hard night, I was feeling low when a package was delivered to our door.  You can see my trimmed hair in these photos. 
 It was a gift box sent by Tom's sister-in-law Vicki, his brother Dave, and their daughter Julie and her family. They live in California. 

I cried when I read the message on the tote bag. It was a message I needed to hear. 
 There were all kinds of fun and interesting things in that bag. What a spirit booster. 
There were even cat treats to share with my kitty visitor. Betsy Brown Cat comes most days, meowing for attention. She thinks those treats are great! Charlie is still in quarantine. 

Yesterday Isaac came over to help Tom with a small project and then visited for an hour. We sat on the patio, where I have a fairly comfortable rocker to spent time in. He has a new job, a first job, working part time at a Papa John's Pizza. His good friend works there too, and he is happy. School will be remote again to start the year, but he can do online classes and work too. He needs to be busy.

Jill and the kids set off for the ocean cabin at Rockaway today to spend the week by the sea. It makes me nostalgic for that first week in August when we always spent the week at the cabin when the kids were growing up. Tom and I haven't been there for quite a while, but if things go well enough, we hope to spend some time there in early fall. 

This morning I managed to go grocery shopping with Tom. We had our list, the cart held me up and Tom fetched stuff off the shelves. We were a good team. But even that much was tiring. This will be a slow process.

So now we are into August, the dog days of summer. I missed the lovely second half of July. The garden is looking a little tired and seedy, but since all I can do is point my trowel, I'll be patient as Tom does a little bit at a time. August is the month to slow down, to let things go a bit, and we can certainly do that. 

Tomorrow it will be three weeks post surgery. Much of that has been a blur, but I have enjoyed keeping up with my blogging family.  Thanks for being there. 

18 comments:

  1. You ARE Awesome! And inspiring. Sending you healing wishes from Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on the mend - hooray! Sorry to hear there were "problems" but all of that is behind you now (ha ha). Your assignment is to slowly get better and stronger - don't rush. It will all come and be worth having it done. We, your friends, are out here cheering you on. You are lucky to have Tom - a gold medal to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major surgery is tough enough without some nasty side effects. I see the smile coming back. You'll be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had some nasty "complications". Hopefully you will feel better day by day. I've been thinking of you and hoping you were on the mend. How lovely to receive a surprise gift just when you needed it most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear you've had a rough time! Hopefully you are on the upswing now. It does take time and patience to get past surgery. Your dahlias and tomatoes look wonderful! I love that gift basket and the tote bag describes you perfectly! Please take care and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this with a feeling of great sympathy for the all of the complications you have suffered since your surgery. You have been through so much! You are such a doer and goer, I can only imagine how this time when you feel you’ve lost time would impact you. The analogy you made to the garden in August is a great one. I hope as you move through the coming days you will continue to heal. Tom is such a great support and companion. I love the gift you received. Linda, I’ve followed you long enough to know every word on the bag is true about you. Rest. Take care. Know many are cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair cut turned out very cute, and you have dazzling dahlias. I hope your recovery continues at a good pace, that was a tough week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s good to hear that you are making progress. I find that I’m not very impatient with my limitations, and I’m surprised when I can’t do something that I easily did previously. I forget that “previously” was 30 years ago! I hope you continue to do well. How wonderful that you can retreat to your magical garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your body has sustained some trauma but you seem to be on the mend. I am sure it is especially for someone as used to being on the go as you but be easy with yourself. I can see from the pictures that the present perked you up. And your hair looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Linda, I truly hope you have been through the worst by now. A very tough three weeks, but I must say I really like your new "do" that the two of you created. And yes, that was a wonderful gift you received. There are many of us virtual friends who follow your journey through your days. I cannot tell you how much I look forward to your posts, all of them. This one gives me hope for a better outcome in the weeks to come. Sending you soft virtual hugs. And that t-shirt is more than perfect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry the waters of your recovery have been so rough and hope calm waters and smooth sailing are ahead. Love that gift and they do seem to know you. Your great smile told how much it lifted your spirits. Keep taking it as easy as you can as long as you need and soon you will be whipping those weeds into submission.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that you are progressing so well. And what a great gift from family. That must have boosted your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad you are back, recovering is a frustrating process requiring time, patience and more time. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your hair cut. You and Tom do make a good team. It is difficult to keep up a good front when you are miserable. May the worst be behind you. Look ahead. You can conquer this! What a fun package. That ought to keep you busy for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopefully the worst has passed and you feel better and gain more strength day by day. Keeping you (and Tom) in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being dehydrated can make you really sick...glad you got what you needed and are feeling more like yourself. Baby steps...you have such pretty flower to arrange! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let's hope an easier recovery is on the way.
    Take it easy
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness, you've had a time of it. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly and you're feeling back to par soon.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.