Thursday, August 13, 2020

July In August

 While the Sweet Peas were planted as usual in April, they took forever to climb the wire trellis in the raised beds. As I explained earlier, tree growth has further limited the amount of direct sun our vegetable garden gets.

Sweet peas usually bloom in July and are getting tired by August. But not this year. We finally have enough for a lovely, fragrant bouquet. 



Some years ago my sister Laurie, who shares our July birthday month, gave me this little Josef July Birthstone doll. The July birthstone is the ruby. It was an antique store find, and I love it. 

I don't know the vintage of this doll and I'm sure it is not quite as old as I am, since I was born in 1944 and they started making them in 1945, but it's probably at least half as old as I am. 

She stayed in the cabinet during July, since I was out of it and there were no sweet peas. So now she has come out in August to stand on my kitchen counter with her July bouquets. 

Life goes on at a slow pace here. Afternoons usually find me spending some time on the patio, reading or nodding off. Betsy Brown Cat has become a needy pest, here almost all day, meowing for attention. We don't know who she belongs to, but she loves us. After sufficient petting she will curl up on my lap for a nap. 

She really is a very sweet cat.

15 comments:

  1. Sweet peas were one of my mom's favorites and she grew them every year. I can still recall the sweet smell. The little figurine is so cute.

    Your brown cat looks well fed, so unless you're feeding her I expect she has a family who aren't home during the day. She's got it all figured out. :)

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be fun to gently tie a ribbon around her neck with the question of who she belongs to? You could put your phone # on it and find out her story. First time commenting, but I've followed you for a long time and enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pretty doll, too. And the cat is probably sent by one of your spirit guides to help you heal. Well, it could be true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cats do seem to form firm opinions about who they will like. The sweet pea and July doll are birthday festive even if late this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post connecting your doll and sweet peas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Sweet Peas are lovely! Mine were slow in growing and blooming but now they too are full of blooms.
    Nice that the cat comes over and keeps you company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your july birthday statue...also your needy cat who needs your company and love. Patience and time will heal you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do make the most lovely bouquets and being July born also, I love that doll. That cat has it all figured out. Someone feeds her- obviously- and she had a ready lap for daytime attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are managing your pain very well, it seems. There's nothing better than pretty flowers to make one happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that china doll and the sweet peas go beautifully with her. It looks like you have a new cat. I wonder what the other cat will think about this interloper??

    ReplyDelete
  11. You save her life (the cat) and she is forever thankful. Lovely little figurine. I admire your attention to detail and protection of little stuff. If I could grow sweet peas...that would be a miracle. Maybe next year I will start them in March!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice kitty companion. No collar to attach a note...she must belong to someone as she looks well groomed...they probably work days:) Your sweet peas look so pretty with your beauty of an figurine! Be kind to yourself as you heal:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your arrangement of sweet peas is so pretty and the little July doll makes it even prettier. That kitty knew the right house to stop at. She feels loved there. Didn't you recently have another cat that loved being with you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Charlie was a constant companion until his owner put him in quarantine, where he is still locked up. There may be hell to pay if eventually both borrowed cats show up at the same time.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.