Monday, August 10, 2020

It's Monday, Isn't It?

 It's another beautiful summer day. There's a light breeze blowing, and the temperature has just reached 80 degrees at 3:00 here on this Monday afternoon. I know it's Monday because Monday is house keeping and laundry day.

I was able to help with those jobs a bit more this week, doing the dusting, the dust mopping, and the laundry folding. I still have to be very careful about bending over or twisting, but my back is getting a little stronger as the weeks go by. When I'm up and about I wear a back brace that helps. 

I had Tom take my photo just now so you can see I am alive and , if not kicking, at least mobile. The brace is the one I saved from my last back surgery six years ago, and since they did not offer me a new one, I am grateful that I saved this one. I wrap it around, fasten the Velcro, and then pull the tabs to cinch it up. It feels like a hug. 

Tom is out in the garden, snipping and clipping. After a bout of lethargy that left him feeling low, I have been encouraging him to be more active, take less care of me, and more care of himself. It is working.

We still pick flowers together. He gathers them and I arrange them for the house. Here are the flowers I put in the powder room. I loved the colors. 

Yesterday we got away from home to visit a friend. She had just had some major re-landscaping done and we went to check that out and then we sat on her shady deck in a gentle breeze with a view of the sound and just had a good, relaxed visit. It felt great to be somewhere else for while.

I'm still working on digestive system issues, but at least I am no longer tied to the bathroom. I actually spent almost all night in my bed last night. These are my milestones. Tomorrow it will be four weeks post surgery.

Tom and I are still cooking evening meals together, but I am doing more. I do need him on standby to fetch things out of lower cupboards that I can't bend over to get. He is happy to be my assistant and he says he is eating too well these days. Today we'll have shrimp and grits and green salad, my own recipe. He can prep the shrimp.

My planning calendar is empty this week. The one thing I can plan is our evening meals each day, so I do that each evening before we retire. It's good to be able to plan something. Oh, and I have asked Jill and the kids to visit us one afternoon later in the week. I have promised them ice cream sundaes. They are home from the ocean and have a week before the kids fly to North Carolina to visit their father. We will have to distance ourselves for a while after they return. 

And so the work is done for today. I fell asleep while reading in my chair at the patio table, and ungrogged myself by blogging. Now I'll go back to my reading, perhaps to stay awake this time. 

Tomorrow is Tuesday, right?


14 comments:

  1. One day at a time. You are doing it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds like you are mending day by day. It is hard enough to keep track of the days lately so I'd say knowing tomorrow is Tuesday a a really good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is difficult to keep the days straight but my pill bottle helps...lol! We are still in 100+ degree temps...hoping for cooling any time soon would be lovely-even our cherry tomato plants are drying up...summer is a challenge that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are improving and gaining strength and endurance. It's never as fast as we'd like it to be but keep making progress one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know you're feeling somewhat better and that the back brace "feels like a hug". If you have to wear it it's great that it feels comfortable.
    Your Dahlias are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear (and see) that you are recovering from that surgery. Those beautiful flowers are such pretty colors! I like your hair like that, longer is very attractive. I just got a haircut and feel a bit shorn. But one thing I know, it WILL grow out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so good to hear that your healing continues. I'm sure it feels terribly slow to you, but from my perspective I'd say you're doing very well.

    Enjoy your time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard to be patient when an active person like yourself and it is great to see you are improving with each post. You will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it is so good to see you Linda. You look wonderful! Those flowers you arranged in the powder room are breathtaking. Seriously, the colors are beautiful. How neat that your grandchildren will be in good old North Carolina. Bet they will miss the nice cooler weather that you are enjoying in Seattle. It is so hot and humid here now. Glad that you are getting stronger and recovering from your surgery. You and Tom take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just like me. We both have a nice house to live in and a nice husband to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems that every blogger over 60 has no clue to the day of the week. But is that really important if you do not have something on your calendar. I think you are very smart about how to heal and will soon bee even more mended! You garden it what I will never attain..but I am not envious. I accept my limitations. Bot due to my skills and due to my climate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see you up and about. Another good night of sleep and you will be able to get out in the garden and pick your own flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While you are "at ease" I have a book for you - The Salt Path by Raynor Winn - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are still having digestive issues...perhaps you should keep a food diary...it may help. Have you thought about going gluten free, sometimes an upset like surgery can kick off a gluten problem. Most of my family suffers from gluten problem...some in differing degrees, some can eat gluten once in awhile (my Dad) my sister cannot even have gluten in the house, my daughter has to really watch it closely.
    I was on Saturday today and it is just FRiday...I hate this virus crap:(

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.