Saturday, January 23, 2021

Outside

 It has been chilly here, but sunny.

On Friday I bundled up against a cold breeze, took my walker outside, and walked up and down the gravel driveway and around the yard. Then I had Tom move a patio chair into the sun so I could just soak up some Vitamin D. It felt great. I took a selfie.



I am using my walking stick most of the time in the house, but have strict instructions from my PT to use the walker outside. That suits me just fine. I am not all that stable yet.

On Saturday I decided it was time for a real walk. We drove over to our nearby neighborhood park where I could walk/wheel on paved pathways.

I walked just under a half mile. That doesn't sound like much, I guess, but it will just be three weeks on Monday since my hip replacement surgery. I was pleased with myself and so happy to be outside walking. I could have done more, but, as you know, I have to monitor myself so as not to over do things. 

Tomorrow, Sunday, we may have some snow before the day is over. It won't last, but it will be messy. I will have to put park walking on hold, but hopefully not for too long. 

My COVID life was OK as long as I could walk and drive. Now I am grounded and it sucks. I am getting restless. I guess I need to find a project.


17 comments:

  1. So good to have sunshine and glad you were able to get out to enjoy it. No vitamin d pill can substitute for the real thing. Hang in there...a half mile is amazing so soon after hip surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calm down...take it easy...be kind to that new hip! Hope you find a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree take it easy, be patient and don't rush and overdue...healing takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about projects. That's what I've been doing lately. I even considered making more masks even though I don't need to. I'm so happy to see you out and recuperating in the cool weather but warm sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing well for three weeks after hip replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it that you are chronicling your recovery and sharing it. It is good for us to know. No doctor, nurse, or PT would ever tell you these things. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been so nice out and I'm sure you're tired of sitting inside. Too bad the weather is changing. minus 4C here tonight with snow and rain mixed for the coming days. Messy. I'm glad I won't have to drive anywhere.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing great for it to be so soon after your surgery! Please don't overdo though because that could set you back. Maybe you could find a hobby to work on? Take care and be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am cheering you on. You are doing it right. (I watched a friend pooh-pooh her PT at every turn and it did not end well. It was so frustrating to watch and painful for her in a hundred ways.)
    I just realized your "doing it right" gives me a Fauci moment of relief so I am thanking you for being a good role model.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great! You inspire me to walk outside, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! You're listening to your body and I'm sure you'll be back walking as much as you like very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so pleased and relaxed in the sun. So glad you are getting in some walking and have the good sense not to over do nor to ignore the walker. It will all pay off soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a long way to walk! I've enjoyed the cold, clear weather. I'll enjoy the snow as long as it doesn't stick around too long. I've finished my major house projects for the time being (out of money) so I'll need to figure out something else to keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing you can walk that far already. Soak up those rays... Start a new hand sew project. You are good at anything you do. Keep on...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you got to soak up some of yesterday's sunshine. Today it was snowing when I got up, and now it's just raining. Lots of it, for awhile yet. You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Today we are having very unusual weather in Tucson. Rain. Wonderful here! Not so much in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good to see you getting more mobile and stronger by each post!

    Today it poured cats and dogs in Honolulu. I had so much dirt runoff where I was planning to lay down grass sod. What a mess! But I do enjoy a good hard rain and the trees love it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.