Wednesday, July 13, 2022

July Living


We wait for these warm July days all winter long, and when they arrive they seem to go too fast, filled up with just living: flowers, gardening, soccer, small outings, doctors visits, reading, daily chores, and visits with friends and family. 

Flowers from the garden on the table. 

Soccer matches without coats, and scarves only because they are part of your supporter gear. 
This was a big rival match against Portland and was chosen as the time for the celebration of the Sounders previous CCL Champions League Tournament Victory. Yes, Champions of Champions. A very Big Deal. 
The Navy Paratroopers helped us celebrate. There were seven of them!

And the usual pageantry, with 40,000 fans, only a few of them for Portland. 
We rubbed it in.
But pride goeth before the fall. We lost. Badly. 

That was on Saturday. We comforted ourselves with burgers at Red Robin and them a stroll on the dock at the Des Moines Marina. 

On Sunday I was restless. I needed an outing. We wanted a few things for the garden so we visited two nurseries. Vassey's is a smallish independent nursery that has such beautiful, well cared for plants. We soaked in the beauty. 



The color range on these barberries was so striking. No need for flowers. 










Monday was a work day, inside and out. By the end of the day I was tired and my back hurt. I tried not to be cranky but I was not always successful. 

Tuesday I did my PT and then watched the Jan, 6  hearings. Tom did a lot more work outside. Some day I may write about DJT and his awfulness, but not today. 

Wednesday morning we were off in the awful commuter traffic to get to my long awaited consultation with my neurosurgeon. The news is mixed, but mostly good. Dr. Gala and I both believe I do not have Normal Pressure Hydrocephalies. What I have is what I have been describing - "multifactorial" causes for my mobility issues. We both grinned as we translated that to "a lotta stuff". 

So now we get back to work on that "Stuff". I had back x-rays today. I will be scheduled for a spine MRI. I am being referred back to my orthopedist for consultation on my "fixed" hip, my other hip, and my knee. There will be more surgeries in my future.

But not on my brain. My brain? most likely "normal aging".  That's bad enough! :-)

Enjoy July!

10 comments:

  1. Normal aging can be scary too! At least you have a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I didn't get my physio therapy done so tomorrow I will have to spend some time on it. Awesome nursery to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really a lovely nursery, lots of temptation there. Sorry your Sounders lost but it looked like a beautiful day and a huge crowd.
    Congrats on the negative NPH--no shunt needed. We all live with a bit of normal aging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the news was pretty good. I myself am not a fan of surgeries for fixing these things, but it seems to have helped you quite a lot. Love the nurseries! Thank you for the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you had mainly good news at your appointment.
    I'm not sure I'd be able to leave the nursery - it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the flowers in today's bouquet pick up the colours in your table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I guess you should be relieved, but I would not undergo the knife again! No way! Live with what you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "multifactorial" diagnosis made me chuckle. I continue to look for the magic pill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Normal aging" sounds pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They say aging is no for sissies. You are brave, Linda. I really admire your strength and determination. I'm sorry your Sounders lost. I'm always so amazed at your garden stores. My granddaughter used to love the Red Robin mac and cheese. I'll bet she still does.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.