Sunday, February 19, 2023

Garden Therapy

 I have been feeling kind of low lately. I know that it is up to me to do something about that. 

Sunday morning was cold and gray but it was dry. The Hellebores were starting to bloom in my garden so I thought they would also be opening in the Highline SeaTac Botanical Garden a few miles from our house. I asked Tom to take me there. 

I wondered if the Edgeworthia by the gate might be blooming yet. It was!



It's a strange shrub, with thick stems, and no leaves when it blooms in late winter, but with an incredible fragrance.


The Silk Tassel Tree was blooming too, on the other side of the gate. I have never been very impressed by this shrub but up close the chain of flowers is interesting, and it blooms early. 

                    

Pieris Japonica shrubs are starting to open their little bell shaped flowers. 
So are the very fragrant early Viburnums. 



And yes, we found hellebores! Since most varieties don't hold up their heads, they need help showing their beautiful faces. 
An early rhododendron. 


Winder blooming Mahonia (Oregon Grape)
The hellebores were just beginning to open. They will be wonderful in a couple of weeks, after this next cold spell. 




A lovely double. 




These are wild hazelnut catkins, the male, pollen producing flowers of the tree. 
We learned something from a blog friend last week that we had a chance to check out for ourselves here in the garden. See that tiny reddish bud at the top of those catkins? That is a female flower bud. 
Tom found one blooming! Cool, huh?
For my entire life, always living with these trees around, I never knew about these tiny flowers. 
These are the fuzzy buds of a magnolia. 

So happy to be here, I managed to walk around most of the several acres of garden, including around the serene Japanese Garden. 



No climbing up narrow paths or teetering on stone bridges for me now,


but holding Tom's hand I was happy to climb these lovely stone steps as we made our way out of the garden to return home, just as the rain was beginning to fall. 

Not only was visiting the garden yesterday good therapy, but now sharing it with you has worked it's magic all over again. 

11 comments:

  1. So fun to see what is blooming, all strange plants to me but I enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful! I love that you know the names of all these flowers, so now I do, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You already have spring! Thank you for sharing all this beauty with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such magnificent plants up there! Mahalo for sharing. I spent the day moving bricks to make way for a bigger vegetable garden and waterproofing the inside of a leaky rain barrel. My only garden highlight was finding that a couple of our mango tree branches had flowers! Woohoo! We'll have wonderful mangos in a few months - hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe the number of plants that are in bloom there. Seven acres of bloom would keep you busy for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to live near such a beautiful garden. Spring is arriving in our garden the Hellebores are blooming the leaves of the weeping willows are slowly coming out. I also went for a walk yesterday the weather being mild. I love Japanese gardens , they are always so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Triple therapy kicks in with this share of such incredible blooming! Thank you for sharing a trip through that amazingly peaceful looking garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely public garden! It worked it's magic on me too, as I sit here staring out at more snow and a gray, overcast day. I'll be back to look at the photos again, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This garden is amazingly beautiful, in February, no less. We are covered in ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!! Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello , I'm new here following you . Enjoying your photos .I love that Mahonia pathway !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.