Friday, November 8, 2013

Catching the Fleeting Light

I don't actually have SAD, Seasonal affective disorder, but I do miss the light as the days grow shorter and the nights longer, so I know it's important for me to get outside into the natural light each day that it is possible.  

We have been spending time at Jill's house again this week, getting it moved into.  There is still a lot to do, but it's coming along.

Yesterday was dark and stormy.  Today we had some actual sun breaks!

This morning, after our Friday  breakfast with friends, we headed over to the house to be there for the Comcast cable guy.  By the way, he was a delightful young man.  Anyway, while he was busy installing cable outlets for TV and internet all over the house, Tom and I did more projects.  It was mid-afternoon by the time we got home for lunch.  It was 3:45 before I set out for what I planned to be a shortened walk.  

I usually plug into my iPod rock music to keep the rhythm as I walk, but today I went silent, listening instead to the rhythm of my own footsteps, and letting random thought flit through my mind.  It was peaceful, and I found myself just keeping on going.

Over at the park, I caught the last golden rays of the sun.  
 And then the light began to fade and the moon popped out.
 By 4:40 the sun had set, and now as I post this it's almost dark outside.  

But I'm OK today.  I caught the light.

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad your daughter's house is getting wired for cable and internet. Can't do without these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful walk and thoughts and such a beautiful area!! And you made great use of it!! Enjoy your weekend, Linda!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Those pictures are fabulous, Linda. I don't have SAD either, but I sure would have given anything for Thursday and Friday to have been swapped out, since I hiked in heavy rain and got plenty wet and cold. I've since washed and re-treated my rain gear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I know a few people who just love this time of dark skies and little of that low-hanging sun appearing--a time to gather inward. I am so not one of them, but I suppose someone has to appreciate this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer walking without music or sound so I can feel peace and listen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that you had some sun breaks for your walk. A great way to wind down.
    I am one of those that loves a cloudy day.
    I listen to music when on the treadmill but outside I let nature entertain me.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Saw you on gigihawaii, and also saw that you run your household like we do ours -- she cooks; he cleans. I heard recently that Seattle does NOT get the most rain of any major American city, but it DOES get the most cloud cover. But anyway, you certainly captured a nice sky, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. I like to walk with just my thoughts entertaining me. I usually find inspiration for photos as I walk. I just never bring my camera! I do whip out my iPhone and take shots that usually disappoint.

    I don't think I could live in Seattle or the Pacific Northwest. I love, love, love the beautiful trees, plants, and flowers that the rain produces. I love the altitude. I also love the sun. I couldn't live without it. That is why I know I could never live where you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures as always Linda! I'm lucky that I get to go outside every day for recess with my kids. Since my room has no window, It's my only chance to get out and enjoy the light. Since the days are shorter and with the time change, I leave just after it starts getting light and get home in the dark. Oh well, it's only a month and a half until the days start getting longer again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! These are such beautiful shots. Sigh... It's exciting to think of working on Jill's house.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.