Sunday, November 24, 2013

It's Time to Change My Focus

For the last month Tom and I have been focused on helping Jill and the kids get comfortably settled into their newly purchased home.  

This house was built in 1960 and for most of it's life it was lovingly cared for.  But we have learned that it was horribly abused for three years and then vacant, and finally rescued by Fannie Mae, who restored it cosmetically.  It is a clean, solid house.  But the plumbing and electrical were not really checked or fixed.  We spent $2250 to get the plumbing unclogged and functioning.  Tom is still figuring out the wiring.  He gets one thing fixed and another problem occurs.  One light fixed, and another stops working.  Outlets still need to be replaced, but some are waiting because the circuitry is still a mystery.  Now the new wall oven doesn't work. Tom has been wonderful in putting up with these frustrations and working through the issues.

This week, after working at home in our own yard, we worked outside at Jill's house, moving dirt, and spreading gravel to increase the parking area and leveling a pad for the storage shed we moved from the rental.  After the site has a chance to settle, we will reassemble the shed.  Then we can get Jill's van in the garage along with her car.

Today we helped Jill move some furniture around and add a guest room bed she bought at a friend's yard sale yesterday.  Jill still has boxes to unpack and organizing to do, but right now she is finishing up report cards and  will have parent conferences the next two and a half days.  She has been a trooper, battling through a days long migraine headache.  I think she has come through that finally. 

We will be having Thanksgiving without the kids this year.  With the divorce still a recent event, there are firsts to be dealt with.  The kids flew to Colorado Saturday morning and will be gone all week.  None of us here are happy about that, but Dad and the other grandparents will be happy to have them for this holiday.

I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner and starting tomorrow I am changing my focus.  I am going to prepare a beautiful setting and a lovely traditional dinner for my adult children, my sister-in-law and her partner, my cousins and my Aunt, all of my Seattle family.  

I am going to go for my daily walk, enjoying the cold, clear weather while it lasts.  And I am going to start thinking about Christmas.

Tom will still be needed to fix things at Jill's house, and sometimes I will help too.  And I will certainly be working in the yard there when the time comes.  I have newly rediscovered this week how much I prefer working outside to being inside. It must be the farm girl in me. But for now my heart and my head will be here at home.

And I intend to fully appreciate the beauty of the season.  I started that today.  

As Tom was finishing up, I went for a little walk in Jill's neighborhood as the sun was setting.  A block away I got views of Mt Rainier.


And then as the sky got all pink, I hurried back and announced that we were leaving and we had to go to the marina right now!  Only about two miles away, we watched another beautiful day come to an end.



I'm glad I had my iPhone camera!

And I am very thankful for all that we have and all that we are still able to do.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a plan. Older house require lots of work. I hope she has smoke alarms in place and working with those strange electrical problems.
    I am sure you will miss Irene and Isaac..but Christmas is coming and hopefully they will be with you then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's important to share the grandkids with the other grandparents and their dad. You are most fortunate to have those beautiful children the rest of the time. And they sure are lucky to have you too!

    Jill is super lucky to have you close by with all that know how to help her through this difficult time. Soon her house will be as perfect as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos to end your post, Linda. I like your philosophical outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You to are poster parents. What a blessing for Jill during such a stressful time to have you two picking up the slack and making life a lot easier for her.
    I feel for her with those days long migraines. Mine use to hang in for 4 days. Finally out grew them with menopause. Hope she doesn't have to wait that long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill is so lucky to have you and Tom to help her. It seems like it's been a difficult period but the hardest is behind you. I know how much you will miss the kids, but I'm glad they will get to see their dad and other grandparents. I saw a couple of these on Facebook already. Pictures taken with the iPhone are amazing, aren't they? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'firsts' are always so hard after a loss.
    My parents were always around when my kids were young and pitched in to help when things got overwhelming. I know how much Jill must appreciate your help.
    Just keep in mind that it does not have to be all done at once. Remember how long it took you and Tom to get your perfect setting?
    It does sound it might be having an electrician come in and rewire though. Electricity scares me.
    One time my father came over to find me changing the burner on the stove. I had unplugged the stove, flipped the breaker off, and pulled the stove away from the wall. My Dad thought that was overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divorce is never easy...if you want to send meLin@sunrivertoday.com your address, I'll send Jill a free copy of my book about recovery from divorce. Been there, done that. It's most difficult for the kids, the adults make the transition easier. Beautiful sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May your different Thanksgiving still be wonderful! I'd been wondering about the grandkids' father. You and Tom are such wonderful parents to help Jill settle in. Suppose it is time to start thinking about Christmas. Wow, that happened fast; seems like we were just talking about back to school, ripe apples, and falling leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis the season for the old and the new. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You post really helped me to remember it's all about focus. I'm so glad you left the house and hustled yourselves off for a view of the sunset. That is what life is really all about, isn't it? Do what you can in the time you can, help where you can, but don't forget to really enjoy the beauty around you.

    Divorce is so hard on everybody! I struggle with the reconfigurations every year. I am writing a post on the subject in my head. I just haven't written and published it yet. I can tell you from years of experience, you are doing the best thing that you can do about Thanksgiving. Celebrate it well given the new reality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely deserve a break. Enjoy the long walks with the gorgeous mountain views as the mountains turn white. Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.