Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Time is Precious

We brought my mother's clock home today.
The clock was originally her grandmother's, my great grandmother's.  It was given to my mother early in her marriage.  But in our poor little house, there was no special place for it and it became a plaything for me and my sisters where it sat on a dresser in our over-crowded bedroom.

Eventually my aunt asked for it.  My mother didn't want to part with it, she had so little, but she knew my aunt would take care of it and give it a proper place of importance.

Last spring, when we emptied out my aunt's house, I asked my cousin for it, and she gave it to me.  It sat in a bedroom until we got around to getting it restored.  Restoration of old clocks in not cheap.  This one cost $200 to bring back to life.  But it was my Great Grandmother's, and my Mother's. Today it came home.

This style of clock is called a kitchen clock, and that is where it is, in my kitchen, now ticking away.

We have other old clocks.
 This mantle clock belonged to Tom's grandparents.  It's had some work done on it over the years, but has been quite reliable for the more than 30 years it has had a prominent place on our family room mantle.

The tall case clock, or Grandmother clock, sits in the living room.  We have had this clock for about two and a half years.  It isn't especially old but it belonged to my mother and dad.  When we moved Mom into assisted living, it needed a home, but no one else wanted it.  Tom loves clocks, so we took it home.  It needed new works, estimated at $1000 by a clock maker, so Tom bought a kit and did the work himself for half the cost.  Still, this clock is a considerable investment too. It does have lovely chimes, and reminds me of my mother.

This mantle clock was a gift from me to Tom one Christmas.  It is an almost identical model to one that his grandparents had.  That family clock went to his brother.  Tom always looked for this type of clock when we visited antique stores.  I bought it on line and we put money into having it restored too.

 Finally there is the completely extravagant, non-family clock that Tom just kept admiring at the clock shop in Langley, Whidbey Island.   With our kids raised and out of the house, we had a little money for extravagances  so I talked him into buying it.  It turned out to be a money pit in its purchase price and restoration.  

It lives in the dining room where it keeps great time, but the hour/half hour bim-bam striking is totally confused and we have not been able to fix that.  Now we don't care.  You never know what twangy hour it will strike, usually on the half hour.  I love its quirkiness. 
As I was posting this blog, the clocks all began to strike the hour, 4:00, down stairs, each a minute of so off from each other.  Some may find it noisy, but we like it.

Each Sunday evening it is Tom's job to wind the clocks and correct the time if necessary.  Old clocks can't be set backwards, so last Sunday it took awhile to adjust to the return to Standard Time.  

And so you see, in our house, time is precious.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful old clocks, lovingly restored - I'm impressed! I have a couple of heirloom clocks that really need me to tend to them, and you have inspired me to try to take care of them better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your clocks and their stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful clocks and stories to match! I love them both, Linda! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just imagine trying to reset all those old clocks and how noisy it must be when they chime at different times but what nostalgia and memories they hold for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to ask how easy they are to set...apparently not easy. We don't have any noisy clocks. We have one that used to tick tock, it must be getting old, but it still keeps great time. Thanks for the tour of you beautiful clocks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great tour of clocks. Time is precious in your house but for some reason or other clocks were an important piece of decor in the past.
    My brother has my Dad's chiming clock. Every time I stay at my brothers I here every hour chimed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old clocks because my grandmother and grandfather's house was full of them. The clocks could be obnoxious when one was trying to sleep.

    You are right. They can be very costly to restore. I've done that before with a pocket watch that was nearly 100 years old that belonged to Jim's dad. It had come from Germany and was purchased in the WWI timeframe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can almost hear the sound of all those old clocks ringing from your description. That's a lot of work, Linda, keeping them up to snuff and working. But it looks like it's worth it! Wonderful story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your old clocks! They are each beautiful... in their own way. We are also in the process of having our clocks fixed (our Grandfather one which stopped after 35 years and my mother's mantle one that she got as a wedding present in 1934). It is expensive, but somehow having a clock that doesn't work is... just wrong... like not taking care of something that you were given responsibility for. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a fellow lover of old clocks, this post spoke to me! It's great to hear the stories of your clocks and, one imagines, even better to be in your house at noon or midnight!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your clocks are pretty, but I for one don't like noise when I am trying to sleep. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The clocks are all downstairs, and our bedrooms are upstairs. The only one we hear at night is the mantle clock directly below us, and we hear that one striking the hour only if we are awake. Then it is kind of comforting to count the bing-bongs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What really beautiful clocks you have. I especially liked the tall clock. Half way through I started thinking about how much work a time change is for you setting them all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the clocks are beautiful. Great memories of great times too. I would love to hear all the sounds too. MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous clocks, Linda! I especially loved the stories behind each one. This took me back to my childhood and my grandparents clock, which chimed the hour and half hour. I found it soothing then, and didn't even realize how much I miss those chimes until I read your post.
    My parents had a cuckoo clock they brought back from Germany years ago, which also sounded the hour and half hour. I now am wondering what happened to that clock! I'm going to have to ask my siblings!!
    Thanks for your thoughts on my recent post. Interestingly enough, part of the reason I'm staying on is because of new car payments that I want to finish off! I wonder if that is a good enough reason?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have had two old family wall clocks for years. I never knew you couldn't turn them back at Daylight Saving Time so I have been doing it each year. They seem okay though

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am really impressed with all your amazing clocks. I'm really glad you now have your great grandmother's clock so that it can be passed down through your descendents. That is a real legacy. We still have Art's dad's school house clock, but it's not working.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.