Thursday, November 21, 2013

Job Done!

The weather has changed here in the Seattle area.  It's now dry and cold, good weather for tackling that big job that has been sitting in our driveway for four weeks.

We have had leaves delivered from a yard care company for many years.  We use the leaves to mulch our garden beds for the winter.  The blanket of leaves adds humus to the sandy soil, gets the worms working, discourages weeds, and keeps the winter rains from compacting the soil.  Our trees are mostly evergreens, so we don't produce lots of leaves here in our own yard.

Yesterday we got a good start on the job.  We got Isaac, who was home from school on a sick day, settled on the couch in front of the TV.  He watched Home and Garden channel most of the morning.  Then by 9:00 we were hard at work.



It was cold, but working kept us warm.

By 11:15 Tom was getting weary and I had to clean up to go to a lunch date with retired teacher friends.  Grandpa fed an improving Isaac lunch and rested before getting back to work.  He moved all the rest of the tender plants into the greenhouse.

I was home and back outside by 2:30 and we worked until we were too tired and the sun was going down.

This morning there was frost on the diminishing pile of leaves.
 The work we had already done looked good in the sunlight.
Isaac had recovered enough to be back in school.  We got a slower start outside.

 We couldn't quite make it to the finish before we stopped for lunch at 1:00.  Tom really needed a rest, and he got in a short nap during our lunch hour.  I was a bit concerned about how tired he was getting.  He grinned and said " It used to be easier".
We finally saw the end of the pile, but then we had a lot of clean up to do.

 It bugs us that we can't get all of the leaves off the driveway, but these are frozen in place.
 Pile Gone!  Driveway cleaned up!
I took care of a few other jobs and then got my camera to record our garden now put to bed for the winter.



 There was sun on the deck and in the tree tops.  Here the magnolia stellata is full of buds for spring flowers.
 We do still have that dead dogwood laying over on the trellis to deal with.

The oak leaf hydrangea is just beginning to color up.



 Cedar tree mulch on the paths.


 Cedar tree droppings cleaned up on the gravel paths.

It was 4:00 when we finished up and posed briefly for a self portrait of two people very happy to have that job done.  We didn't linger for a glass of wine.  It's too cold!
We're thinking we might not do this again.  It's hard work.  But I have to say, I loved being outside in the sunlight and getting my exercise by working in the yard.  I feel good!

16 comments:

  1. I am very jealous of your lovely leaves! Lots of evergreens here too, and the only source of leaves in my own garden is oak leaves, which don't compost down easily. I need to get out there with my little battery-operated blower and get them off the plants and into my compost. When the rain comes back, it will probably clean your driveway for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learn so much about how to garden from watching (and reading) about you two. The leaves have been blown into piles in our apartment complex and put into a single area in our back yard. I think I'll go and spread some out over my little plot! Congratulations on getting that job done, Linda and Tom. Kudos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard work makes for a very healthy and attractive garden. You have a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so amazed at how garden like your yard looks even as it is put to bed. My flower garden looks so hopeless for slightly over half the year--mostly are ground with a few straggly frost-blackened plant skeletons here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard work...and your gardens are absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recycle you accomplish. Your garden looks wonderful put to bed and the scope of it is amazing. Think if I were you, I'd try to find some eager teen age boys to at least help next year.
    So glad Isaac is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a blessing to have the strength and energy to work in your yard-it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why don't you fly to Hawaii and work on my yard?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yard still looks so good! That was a huge job! You need a few days off now:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...beautiful even heading into winter...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a whole lot of work, but so rewarding. Everything looks so neat and well groomed. Congratulations! You're ready for snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your place, it's paradise to me
    the frozen leaves in the drive are very much like art, don't let them bug you

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice to be able to recycle all those leaves! We have a ton of leaves down here, but when we tried to use them for mulch, they ended up all over the patios, on the lawn furniture, etc. Way too much wind here to take advantage of the lovely leaves that break down into such wonderful soil. No wonder your place looks so stunning all the time! You two work harder than anyone I know who is retired!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am impressed. Very impressed. What a job. I don't know if the two of us would be up to it anymore.

    Your garden is stunning no matter what the season. That is because of the tender loving care you give it. The beds all look cosy and ready to rest for the winter. I know that doesn't mean that those plants and the soil is just resting. They will be working on all the good food you gave them.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Linda Letters" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-sunday-drive_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Your yard looks gorgeous! Great photos!
    Love the photo of you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.