Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Persistent Problems

My heel still hurts. I have done everything the home health book says to do for plantar faciitis for the last two weeks, but it hasn't helped. So I did the next thing the book said. I called the doctor. The allergies I have developed over the last few years seem to want to persist into the summer now. The sneezing and coughing and runny nose and burning eyes have subsided, but the sinus burning and low grade headaches are ever present. So I called the doctor. I had an appointment this morning for both issues. Yep, I'm doing the right things for my heal. I need to continue. Give it seven weeks or so to clear up. SEVEN WEEKS! I want to get back out to do my aerobic walking now! I did get a referral to a podiatrist. We'll see what comes of that. As for the sinus condition, I got a nasal spray and an antihistamine. I'm hoping they work. I'm supposed to give that a week before I should notice any improvement. Another week! I want the fix NOW! I don't know about you, but I don't run to the doc for any little thing, so when I do go I have already been dealing with stuff for quite a while. Then I want quick fixes. But that is not to be. I guess I'll have to learn patience. As I age there will just be more persistent problems. We're off to a Sounders match at Quest Field this evening. My little problems will not keep me from my beloved sports teams!

8 comments:

  1. I have been blessed with remarkably good health for a 77 year old woman and my doctor told me at my last checkup that I don't need to come in but every six months. That suits me just fine. I do see my acupuncturist for my junky knees and he keeps me moving amazingly well. The allergies can be a pain in the whatever, but they come and go with the seasons.
    Gland you're going to a Sounders match this evening! That's the best medicine ever! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't it the pits? I've been noticing the same thing as I get a older. I was never concerned about my health before and now it's the #1 concern. Heavy sigh. Cholesterol, osteoporosis, diabetes and I don't know what else. My knees hurt every so often, shin splints and now my baby fingers are swollen at the joint. I haven't had plantar faciitis yet though. Knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you know that we all get these aches and pains as we age, and there's not much to do about it. I'm glad you went to the doctor. It's a bummer that all he could tell you is that you're doing the right things. My niece had plantar fasciitis and orthotics helped her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get fast relief from both maladies. Neither can be much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you are experiencing so much discomfort. That's no fun! Glad the doc is optimistic that the plantar fasciitis and allergies will clear up eventually. Hope so! Take care and have fun at the Sounders match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had plantar fascitis years ago and I stayed off my foot one summer then got some better shoes with arch supports and NEVER run around barefoot. Haven't been bothered since. You can exercise off your foot doing stretching exercises and stationary bicycling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the saying goes “Old age ain’t for sissies”. Not that were old but the aches and pains seem to get more persistent every year. I hope yours are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping you are still reading comments. I had plantar fascitis for quite awhile and it was NOT fun and the doctor, including podiatrist was not much help--even had cortisone shots. What helped the most was seeing a physical therapist who knew about an interesting process of taping my heel. It took awhile but started feeling better right away.
    Also, I'm learning something called Chi Walking. It's lower impact on all limbs, including feet. It's changing the way I stand also (like in the kitchen). Amazing how our bodies talk to us in foreign languages... And it's a challenge to be patient enough to listen and know what is being said.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.