Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mother's Day Plans

This morning we are taking it slow and easy.  I called my mother and emailed my daughter.  Cards had been sent earlier.

Today I am celebrating Mother's day by BEING a mother.  I have invited son Jake and two friends  to come eat ribs with us.  Tad, an adopted Korean orphan, has been a friend of Jake's and ours for a long time.  Never knowing his birth mother, he is estranged from his adoptive mother.  Russ, a friend through Tad, comes from the mid-west, where his family still lives.  His mother died this winter.

The ribs are slow cooking in the oven and will go on the grill to finish.  I'll make the BBQ sauce soon, put together a fresh fruit compote, roast some Yukon Gold potatoes in a foil packet on the grill, steam some asparagus, and warm some rosemary bread.  There are fresh baked brownies for dessert.

We'll eat dinner about 2:00, to accomodate Jake's morning soccer match and Tad's evening match.

After the guests leave, Tom and I will take a walk in the neighborhood, hopefully during a sun break.

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Linda, you are what being a mother is all about. Your inviting these other sons over is truly in the spirit of this special day. You've brought a tear to my eyes and warmth to my heart. I'm wishing you an extra special Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great way to spend your special day. You forgot to tell us what time to show up for ribs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a good day for us up here in Bellingham, I hope it's been nice enough for a walk. Happy Mother's Day to you, Linda. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a relaxing fun day with family, feasting and time for walking. happy mother's day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doing mother things is what I am most comfortable with, doing for my kids; but the son who lives locally wanted to treat me to a picnic and wine tasting. It was a very nice afternoon and I guess letting him feel good about doing something for me was also doing the mom thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like a loving mom. Thanks for sharing yourself with the boys and with your blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. I haven't BBQed in over a year, because it is too much trouble. Ah, but, doesn't the food taste better from the grill?

    Glad you all had a nice time together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you did have a splendid Mother's Day.........
    and the sun DID come out. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds perfect to me -- and how loving you are to avail yourself as 'Mom' to those who don't have one. Actually, what you're doing re-defines mothering, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds perfect to me too. Happy Mothers Day

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.