Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Mother's New Home

Pheasant Pointe is a senior and assisted living complex located on East Main Street in my childhood home town of Molalla,OR.

While I grew up on a small farm seven miles out of town, in the farming area of the Willamette Valley, my parents moved to East Main Street during their retirement years.  Their house is just across the street and a block down.

This is Mom's neighborhood, where she went to school, worked at the highschool, and sent her kids to school.  She knows lots of people in and around this town.

She also knows lots of people in this complex.  She has visited here often, and has attended Bible Study here every Wednesday morning for years now.

We visited her this evening in her new apartment, where she looks very settled, and seems happy.  We know that she is well cared for. I baked a rhubarb cake this morning at home in Seattle, and this evening we shared it in our first cake and coffee session.

Tomorrow we'll be working across the street, making more progress toward clearing out her house.  But we'll walk over in the afternoon to take Mom outside for a stroll around the complex in the sunshine.  We might even eat some more of that cake.

And I can't begin to express how thankful I am that this woman, who lived frugally, and in near poverty much of her life, has, with my late father, managed to invest enough that she can afford this wonderful care.

Every time I have arrived here so far, I have heard the beautiful song of a red winged blackbird.  We're all singing for joy!

12 comments:

  1. That is truly wonderful, Linda. I am glad she is happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to be the perfect place for your mom. My granddaughter(18) works at one, while studying to be a nurse. She has wonderful sweet stories of the elderly that she assists. The complexes can be a joyful place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Linda...it looks very welcoming indeed! may joy be with you as you finish cleaning out memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a blessing to have it all have worked out so well, Linda. I am so glad for you, and I do appreciate you sharing the journey with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds relief that all is going well and how wonderful that she's in the same neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great omen that song is! So happy that you've found your mom so well and settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy your mom is settling in. It is a blessing when these moves can be made when one's health is still good. Please let your mom know that we all wish her well. It is time for her to enjoy her days without worry. Thankfully, she is around many who know her and care about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that this facility is in her familiar neighborhood.
    I understand about being grateful for parent's frugality, I had a similar experience. I was able to find the best placement for my mother, there was no need to compromise, because they had saved all of their lives an my father invested well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a happy story Linda. Glad it is working out well for your Mom - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so comforting to know that she is among familiar faces and familiar faces. Great move!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for all of you, Linda. What a good feeling to know your mom is content and happy in her new place and that it's not a strange place for her.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.