Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Waiting For the Sun to Shine

As usual, we have been busy, while waiting for the sun to shine.  We did a lot of work in the yard on Monday, planting and primping.  Then in the evening we returned to Qwest Field to help wrap up the big tifo project.
Some of you may remember that a year ago I was helping to sew together a huge banner 95 feet long by 28 feet wide.  Eventually we used it at a Sounders soccer match, as what is called an "overhead", a banner that floats over a section of the crowd for a short time after the National Anthem and before the start of the match.  Such displays are called tifo.

This year we reworked this banner, painting new designs on it.  Tom and I spent about eight hours over three days helping out, but Ken and Robyn, who are the project leaders, spent at least four times that much.  Last night we met them on the stadium concourse the wrap it up.  It's done, and ready for the unfurling to come next Saturday.  No peeking until then!

 It was getting dark when we left.
The clock tower at King Street Station read 9:00 as we made out way to the light rail.
This morning I got a hair cut, picked up a prescription and shopped for some groceries, so my morning was gone, but Tom got more clean up done outside, including getting the lawn mowed.

Yesterday's planting looks good, but now the impatiens need sun!

 The seeds we finally got planted in the vegetable garden need some heat.
 The lawn has been happy with the cool, damp weather.
Apple blossoms are finally braving it. 
The beauty of spring is everywhere.

While I was waiting for the sun this afternoon, it finally appeared.  All of the garden seating is ready for that rare day of warmth and time to just sit and while away the time.





But that isn't today, or tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning we head to Molalla, Oregon.  This is the week that we move my mother into assisted living.  Tom and I will be measuring to determine what will fit in her two room apartment, then preparing those things for the move.  My brother who lives in Massachusetts arrives Thursday to work with us.  Both of my sisters arrive on Friday.  My other brother and a bunch of Mom's grandsons will be coming with pick up trucks on Saturday.  It will be a clan gathering!

Several will stay over for a day or two to get Mom settled.  Tom and I will be leaving right after lunch on Saturday to get back to Seattle.

We have a Soccer match to get to. 

But don't worry.  We are hardly done.  We will be back in Molalla getting the house emptied out, probably next week.

There is no Internet where we will be, so I'll report in later.

14 comments:

  1. what a busy time for you, and your yard is immaculate! Beautiful...good luck with getting your mom moved. Enjoy the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is storming in Hawaii tonight. What a deluge! Hope we don't have a pour outage!

    Your yard looks very pretty.

    Good luck with the move. Always difficult, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is absolutely stunning, Linda! I'm always so thoroughly impressed with how gorgeous it looks. You make me want to go to Seattle again just to see it in person. I know how much work it takes to get it looking like it does.

    Wow! You've got a ton to do in the next few days. It's terrific that you'll have the clan together to help. It'll be great being together. Your mom is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always in awe of your garden, and your gardening abilities. Hope all goes smoothly with your Mom's move. Looking forward to seeing the unfurling of the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden and beautiful home always makes me love to visit, Linda. I just read on Cliff Mass' Weather Blog that we are still going to be cold and rainy for a while yet. And then there is June Gloom on the way.

    With such a gorgeous garden, I would sit out there even with a coat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda how I would enjoy visiting your beautiful gardens, I am sure I could easily find some books to read as I sat out in one of your chairs! You have the most amazing gardens I have ever seen. I hope all goes well with the move with your mom, how nice the family will all pitch in during this time of change. And I too look forward to the unfurling of the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden truly is amazing. Again, I say, the rain is the reason that things where you live are so lush. I wish all that rain could be spread around a bit. I wish sunshine for you and rain for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...that garden. It looks like something out of a magazine, like something maintained by a crew of professionals. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so verdant!

    I think it's great that your whole clan is gathering to help with your mom's move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking to see if there was anything i could add about your garden or your projects but what always strikes me is how you remind me my grandmother and how wonderful her prized garden was and how we treasured the things she sewed for us. She was a teacher also... michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those gardens and landscaping are gorgeous! And good luck with your mom...I used to be the Administrator of an Assisted Living facility..it is a happy environment and she will meet new friends there and give you a chance not to be worried about her...she will not be alone and will be checked on often. xxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and Tom have a totally enchanting garden Linda. Well done both of you. Hope the move goes well - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  13. if I ever get to visit you I don't think I'll leave, I'll just live in the gardens
    like a living gnome ;)

    I wish you an easy transition with Mom
    it's wonderful that the whole clan is coming together

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is always an inspiration. Though most of the plants would not grow in our hot climate I still get lots of good ideas.
    I enlarged the shots of your veggie garden to see how you staked and protected things.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.