Monday, July 29, 2013

We're In Paradise!

Paradise, Pennsylvania, that is, but it's not bad here either.

We were up this morning in Seattle at 3:45.  Our cab, scheduled to arrive at 4:30, went to the wrong house, but after a 15 minute delay and a bit of phone frustration, we were on our way to the airport.  It's amazing how busy that place is at 5:00AM!  

We got through the security lines, had breakfast, and boarded on time.  Our flight was uneventful - the best kind.  By 3:00 EDT we were getting our rental car. 
It's a nice little Ford focus.  I think this little car gets around - Maryland plates, picked up in Philadelphia,  and we'll be dropping it off in Columbus, Ohio.

Philadelphia is a "been there, done that" place.  We headed west into Lancaster County.  



I do love Amish country.  All this beauty represents hard work for the farm families, made more so because of their adherence to their beliefs, and that makes me appreciate it even more.  


 Of course we stopped in Intercourse.  We perused the tourist section, but preferred the authentic parts.  We bought a coke at the general store and said hello to the Amish lady sitting on the steps outside. I took the photo after she moved on.

I can attest that the corn is as high as an elephant's eye, and it looks like its growing clear up to the sky.
We had dinner at a farm style buffet in Bird in Hand.  It was a mistake.
 Tonight we are lodging at the Best Western in Paradise.  This original inn dates from 1740! 



 We didn't know about the restaurant inside.  I wish we had eaten here.

We're staying in a bit more modern accommodation   The grounds are lovely and made for a great evening stroll.
 Day 1 is done.



10 comments:

  1. I have never been to Amish country. I hope to do so soon though because my son recently moved to Pennsylvania. I love this Best Western where you are staying. How fun!

    The corn is thriving for sure. The fields must just be so lush and beautiful. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful country scenery. Looks like the weather is great also. We have eaten at the Amish colonies in Iowa and had wonderful food. I love the old stone buildings - makes history really seem historic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing you woke up in Seattle and went to bed in Amish country?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're having lots of fun. I'm starting to think that you're the kind of person who has fun where ever she is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely there. Sounds like you've got a great start the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice location. I didn't know corn grew that tall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful beginning to your trip, LInda. And it seems that everything worked out well, other than the fact that you must have been really tired by the time you wrote this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in my favorite part of the county. I love Amish country. If you can find some, try the goat milk fudge they make. It is divine. Smooth and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to see the Amish wagons again. I love seeing the tall corn stalks. Looks like it will be a good harvest this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've spent some time there, long before digital cameras!! Amazing country. Glad to see little has changed.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.