Monday, July 8, 2013

When You Have Bugs, Make Jelly

We have had this raspberry patch for almost as long as we have lived in this house, 35 years.  It has supplied us with luscious fruit which we have enjoyed eating fresh and freezing for winter eating.

But the last two years, our berries have come under attack, and the result is a tiny white worm that ruins the fruit, turning it to mush.  Last year I was able to harvest some berries before the worms took over.  We tried to research what the pest might be, but never really found the answer.  

Now, this year, even after spraying, the infestation is worse than ever, and we were only able to get a few pickings before the worms showed up.  We have discovered that the culprit is Dropophila suzukii, and Asian vinegar fly.  A kind of fruit fly, this little critter attacks fresh, ripe fruit,  pierces the skin of the fruit with it's ovipositor and lays eggs, which quickly hatch into tiny larva.  It is a serious economic threat to the soft fruit industry, having shown up here on the west coast in 2008.

Well, some of the berries are still good, but it's hard to tell which are wormy and which are not, so I have picked what I could, and last week I juiced the berries, strained the juice carefully through cheese cloth, and made raspberry syrup.  

Yesterday, I picked about three quarts, smashed them and extracted the juice,  again carefully straining it through cheese cloth, and made jelly.


I had to scrounge to find jelly jars.  I used to be more of a Domestic Goddess than I am now, and I had jars, and made jelly and jam, but I gave most of my supplies to my sister, who carries on with the canning.  I don't. I did have the lids, surprisingly.  

We don't eat much jelly, but I'll give it to the kids, and save some for the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that they sometimes require when they are here.

In other domestic goddess news, Tom and I finished the hedge pruning this morning.  Hallelujah! 

Tom bought some organic spray for the raspberries, and we'll see if we can control the pests.

We're eating zucchini, basil and lettuce from our garden.
 The dahlias are blooming and I'm making bouquets for the house.
And we're spending a lot of time in the yard.  We have an Open Garden this coming Saturday, so everything has to be ship shape.  That means re-cutting the edges, weeding, cutting back perennials that have finished, and generally primping and grooming.  The mornings will be busy, as the temps heat up again and the afternoons will be too warm to work in the sun.  
And we do need some time to sit on the patio and read and enjoy what we have created.  Isn't that what Domestic Goddesses are supposed to do?



15 comments:

  1. This is just lovely, Linda. I'm so sorry to hear about the raspberry bug, and I do hope it doesn't spread any further, since i LOVE fresh raspberries. Our zucchini plant is just now coming into fruition, but I've been eating lettuce, nasturtiums, sugar snap peas, and beets so far. It's so much fun to have a garden! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very disturbing about the worm. Your garden is looking as beautiful as ever Linda and your bouquets would brighten any room. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these little friends can be extremely pesky. They seem to be able to win most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck on those worms. I do love raspberries so that would make me very unhappy. Good luck showing your garden. It doesn't look like it needs trimming from where I'm setting. Always enjoy the flowers you pick for the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, you are truly a domestic goddess! Love to have those jars of jam on the counter - they look so pretty. I'm doing my first batch of raspberry jam today also. I don't quite have zucchini yet - they are formed and about 3" long, so pretty soon! The peas are a bit overwhelming now, and beets and carrots are young and tender and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, you are truly a domestic goddess! Love to have those jars of jam on the counter - they look so pretty. I'm doing my first batch of raspberry jam today also. I don't quite have zucchini yet - they are formed and about 3" long, so pretty soon! The peas are a bit overwhelming now, and beets and carrots are young and tender and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really care for raspberries because the seeds get stuck in my teeth. But, those dahlias are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bummer about those invasive bugs. You do have the knack of making lemonade when life hands you lemons, as they say. The gardens look amazing. A lot of work, but it must be so satisfying to be able to sit and admire at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the enjoying time is what it's all about...too bad about the berries...

    ReplyDelete
  10. To bad about those icky bugs and their larva. I am glad you were able to harvest some berries and make Jelly. Love it!!!
    Your gardens are gorgeous and you will be the it of the tour.
    We had a sorta stir-fry with our Zukes, peas, onions and it was so good. MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad about the bugs. Nice save however and who doesn't love to get homemade jelly.
    Those dahlias are beautiful. I need to think dahlia in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just terrible about the soft fruit fly. That could be devastating to your part of the country.

    We used to have raspberry bushes when I lived in Utah. I miss those days of fresh raspberries, but like you, I am not a canner anymore. I can't even remember the last time I made jelly or jam. I gave all my jars away when I moved. The kids will sure enjoy the homemade jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even with the bugs you were able to make all that jelly! That is incredible. I'm always so in awe of all you're able to harvest. I had raspberry bushes out side of our window and we only got a handful every morning for a short time. I planted them by our window to discourage burglars. :-) I'm looking at your garden and gaining such pleasure vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sad about the raspberries. We pick them and freeze them for the winter. One of my favorite fruits. Your gardens look lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a wonderful blog. I really enjoyed seeing all your photos.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.