Thursday, November 21, 2019

Impeachment

Roses bloom even in the cold fog.

I am a Democrat, but I am not one of those Democrats who started calling for President Trump's impeachment from the beginning of his term.  Even six months ago, after more than two years of lies and malfeasance, I held on to the hope that we could just vote him out at the end of his term. But I came to see, much as the Democratic congressional leadership did, that there is a limit to what we can allow.

Trump is a narcissist, and as such, everything is about him; his ability to make money, his need to promote himself, his demand that he be praised and agreed with, his denial of anything unfavorable, and his need to defeat and demean any opponents. Being elected president gave him, in his view, the ultimate power. " I am President, you're not!" He considers himself above the law.

His need to please himself is so great that he willingly links himself to other powerful world leaders, the more ruthless the better. He eats up their praise, especially that of the Russian leader, Putin. 

Trump is also corrupt. His business dealings gave us a window in to how he might act as a president, and despite hope that he might actually become "presidential", he has not. His appointees have come and gone until he has surrounded himself with those who will support him and allow his corruption. 

So it was that he seized the opportunity to try to coerce a newly elected president of a fledgling democracy, Ukraine, to do his bidding to dig up dirt on a political opponent and please Russia by trying to blame Ukraine for Russia's interference in our 2016 election. By withholding an official meeting with the new president Zelensky he denied Ukraine important status and support, and by holding up money for military aid he threatened their security and therefore international stability. 

Trump got caught.

I have devoted many hours in the last two weeks to watching/listening to the Impeachment hearings. There is no doubt that Trump is guilty as charged. The witnesses, some wonderful patriots dedicated to the rule of law, have laid out the case beyond the shadow of a doubt. 

Every effort has been made by the Republican spokespersons to discredit the witnesses and belittle the importance of Trump's actions. They want the American people to believe that this is all no big deal. There will be an asserted campaign to get us to believe that, no doubt with the help of Russian bots. 

Trump will be impeached, and there will be a trial in the Senate. So far there is no sign that the Republican support of this corrupt president is weakening. Trump may be acquitted. While an outcry from the people might change this, acquittal will most likely be the outcome.

Then what? Being acquitted by the Republican majority in the Senate does not make him innocent. It says that it is acceptable for Trump to behave above the law. 

We are facing a political crisis, not just here at home, but around the world. Our international allies know that our president cannot be trusted. He is destroying our alliances, and much to Russia's delight, weakening NATO.

We cannot afford to bury our heads in the sand. We all need to sit up and take notice. We need to get our country back on a lawful track. 


16 comments:

  1. Not sure if I have the right to even comment on this subject since it's not my country. But I am entitled to an opinion and you've said it well. I'd like to forward all you've written to some of my relatives but I know it won't change their minds. It's a subject we can't discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make perfect sense. I hope many more people share your view. It's about common sense and looking after the whole country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have trouble understanding how anyone could not think he was guilty of this crime. There were so many others that Mueller documented, but he got out of that. And we STILL have not seen his tax returns. I am worried about the health of our country. Your post says it all, Linda. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a sad day for America and democracy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Momentarily putting the big picture you present well on hold, the singular abuse of the Office of President of the United States by the entire grifting Trump family as a pipeline for furthering personal material wealth is heinous and, might I add, jaw-dropping? Unsurprisingly, these schemes have spilled over as very real threats to the public welfare; there are many we know of because shy, they're not. I mark the latest: Despite vowing to stop, Ivanka has continued to rack up trademark deals in China, •including one for voting machines•. Yes. Voting machines! Mind blown here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The headline photo is breathtaking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You spoke my mind Linda. I too was waiting for the elections and it seems that we may have to. He cares not for our planet, our allies or the truth. He has allowed hate to become respectable. I am so tired of this joke of a man and hope we survive him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad but true what you have written. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I don't agree but I do like your blog and was hoping you would stay away from the subject of politics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an excellent post, Linda. You've explained it all beautifully. I was mesmerized by the hearings and so impressed with the witnesses who eloquently detailed what they heard, saw and understood. The scary thing is that the Republicans will fight to defend him even with all this evidence of his corruption. They know they need Trump's supporters for the next election. Now we need everybody else to get out there and vote to rescue our country from where it has fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that this is an excellent post. It doesn't take a lot of words to tell it like it is. I too have watched and listened. I get encouraged when I hear the testimony. But discouraged at those who provide excuses. They are as guilty as DT.
    I remember 3-4 years ago when some were saying, "He is a business man etc etc." A country is not a business and should never be run like a business.
    Every day new info appears, but I don't think it will move the Senate one bit. I live in a nest of enablers and am frightened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to have gotten to this post and shout a loud Amen. You are spot on. Each of us has a responsibility to find a way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so well-put, Linda, and I thank you for taking the jumble of dread that is in my head over DT's reign, and clearly stating the truth. I am very fearful for the future, and so hoping he is not able to slither out of this somehow. His whole family is sicker than sick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Linda. So well said. We need to Impeach!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Much ado about nothing. Why don't our lawmakers get back to work...I think the Democrats are scared that Trump will be re elected. We have many signs in our area that say Trump 2020. Trump makes everyone angry...he is a businessman and not a politician. Some of those people he makes angry will still vote for him! I watch some of the hearings as they interrupted Days of our Lives for them :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.