Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Goodbyes

 Yesterday was the last day of summer for 2020. It wasn't the best of summers, what with COVID restrictions, smoke and devastating fires, and a difficult recovery from back surgery, but it was a beautiful summer here most of the time. I love summer and am always sad to see it go. Goodbye Summer. 

Today we say welcome to Autumn, and it is starting out beautifully. When we went out for our walk this morning, we stopped at Safeway to mail a letter in the blue drop box. The pumpkins were glowing in front of the store.


And the sky was a glorious blue.

Rain is on the way tomorrow to let us know that summer is really over. Maybe the blue sky will return next week. 

Yesterday we also said Goodbye to Betsy Brown Cat.


Here she is a few days ago sitting on my lap on the patio.

Betsy adopted us this summer, after encountering us in our yard. She soon became a regular visitor and we began to feed her when we couldn't locate anyone else who was caring for her. We do not want a house cat, and while having her visit outside was good for the summer, I began to worry about her as the rains started. We have very little shelter available outside. 

Two days ago I noticed clumps of cat hair on the table where we feed her. Something had attacked her. Then yesterday Charlie the Borrowed Cat showed up. He is out of confinement and had come to claim his territory. Betsy was in it. There was a lot of hissing and yowling, Tom got his arm badly lacerated by Charlie when he got in the way, and then Charlie viciously attacked little Betsy, who was standing her ground. The struggle went on across the yard until Betsy hid in some bushes, I hit Charlie on the nose, and he stalked off. 

I decided we couldn't keep Betsy safe. It was time to find her a new home. So we took her to King County Animal Control where they looked her over briefly. She is female, young, and not feral. Because she is comfortable with people, she is adoptable, and after 72 hours in quarantine, she will be put up for adoption.

I am sad for the ordeal this sweet little kitty is enduring, but I so hope she will find a forever home and the love and attention she craves. 

Goodbye, sweet little Betsy Brown Cat


13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, poor little Betsy brown cat! Charlie was certainly asserting his claim. I'm glad you took her to shelter, and I'm sure she'll be purring in someone's arms soon.

    Happy Autumn! Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. Charlie has claimed you as his property. Too bad he got so aggressive. Hope Tom's arm heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She seemed like such a sweet kitty I am sure she will get adopted soon...I hope. Boy Charlie had a fit...watch that arm Tom so you don't get cat scratch fever....that is no fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been some cat fight!! Too bad Tom got scratched. I hope he won't get an infection from it.
    I hope Betsy finds a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I held my breath until I finished your post. I was thinking the "good-bye" was because she died and when I read the part about her getting attacked I feared for the worst. Big sigh of relief. You did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you are in line for some regular weather. It's easier to deal with weather when it's what expect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Tom is OK too. I’ve heard of those infections from cat scratches. That’s so sad for poor Betsy, but I’m hoping she’ll find a wonderful home with people who will be able to care for her.

    You don’t notice the change of seasons much in Hawaii, but all of a sudden after days of unrelenting sun, we got rain today and it’s supposed to rain tomorrow too. It’s badly needed. So yay for Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow it's a rough world out there even for cats...but at least she's safe now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing that I read through comment becuse I was going to say exactly what one said -- ditto Peruby's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing more dangerous than breaking up a cat fight. I saw a judge at a cat show taken out on a stretcher when the cat he was examining went bonkers. Glad Charlie is back but not at the extent of chasing off Betsy. You did the right thing.
    Like the others, make sure Tom gets that cut checked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope she is adopted soon. She is a charmer. Sigh. I'll miss her too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. High drama. That poor little cat was lucky she found you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.