Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Smoke Has Cleared

 It is wonderful to be able to breath fresh air again, to have the window open at night for sleeping, and to go for a walk. 

On Saturday, after morning rain showers, I decided we desperately needed a change of scenery for our walk. Tom suggested the Cedar River Trail, which is a short drive from our house, level, and somewhat scenic. 

At physical therapy on Friday my therapist and I discussed how much walking I should do. It is getting harder and harder because of my hip degeneration. We decided about a mile and half was about my limit. That keeps me moving but without too much damage to my hip. Even that much is getting hard to do, but I persist.

I loved having a new trail for a change.

From the parking lot at Cedar River Park, we walked along the river to the freeway overpass. There is a walking underpass across the river there and the walking trail is on the other side of the river. 



We follow the river through the still, cool greenness.

It's hard for me to not want to go around the next bend, and then the next, but we did turn around about here. It turned out to be 1.85 miles, but I enjoyed all of it. 
In the more exposed areas the leaves are turning and falling. 

Back over the underpass over the river. 
The fish counting weir is set up again for the fall salmon run, but so far only a few fish were visible. We'll have to come back, for more golden leaves and more salmon spawning in the gravely river bed. 
And then there's this. 


My PT thinks I may need a walker before I can make it to my hip replacement surgery in January. We know that I will need one after my surgery, so I had her go ahead and order one for me. 

I did not expect it to be delivered the same day! I got a phone call Friday afternoon letting me know it would be delivered by 9:00. It was well after 9:30 when it arrived. I documented it with a photo, and then I had Tom put it away in a back closet. I did not want to see it. I don't know how all of this will turn out, but I plan to leave it there for as long as possible. 




13 comments:

  1. Use it! It may make your hip pain less...it is worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to learn that you are having such pain. I've been using CBD cream on two spots and it helps considerably. I don't think it would be able to reach into the hip area, but perhaps a tincture taken internally would help. I am still devastated over the loss of RBG and the rabid beasts coming after her spot before she has even been buried. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely walk. Falling leaves, river sounds and level. Use the walker if you need it. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for, love the phrase "green coolness"...guess we would redrock hotness still in the 90s but cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who is going through similar pain and waiting for various surgeries to address arthritic conditions in joints but she doesn't exercise and lies to the PT about it. She re-homed her dog because she couldn't walk him anymore. I think your approach is better. It just makes sense to me that if you maintain as much strength as possible the surgery will go better, all other things being equal.
    I feel for my friend and I can see how much she is suffering but her focus on handling her pain with opioids has bothered me and I have really backed away from supporting her because of it. I am hoping we can both get past this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you have some relief from smoke. It was bad here so I can only imagine what it's like there. Hip surgery in January? It's not a long time but when you have a very painful hip it can seem like forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David lent me his walker, adjusting it for height. He purchased a tray separately so I could place things on it while walking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful that the air quality if improved? I really missed walking. You seem to be doing quite well with your walking and found a lovely path to take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine how awful the smoke was around you. Some of that smoke came all the way here in Indiana where I live. It was awful. I couldn't have the widows open. I do hope you are able to stay active until your surgery. It would be most helpful in the long run. You walk further than I do and there is nothing wrong with me. I should correct that but I am fairly lazy. You need to decorate your new wheels. That way you won't resent it so much ??? Own it and use it. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry about the pain you are and have been experiencing. Not fun. Bob and I like to work through our aches and pains. You may not want to like the walker but it will help with the pain until the hip replacement. I had a knee replacement several years ago and I used a cane for awhile and I still use a walking stick on occasion. Oh just as an aside--Find a trail to walk that is not paved. The pavement is hard on the bones but packed dirt has a bit of give to it so is easier on our old bone.
    Take care
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the second person I've read about who needs a new hip. Hope the surgery goes well and helps you get back your mobility. I love the trees and the blue sky. I was very discouraged about having to stay in my house all the time, away from the noxious smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, Linda! I’m so sorry for all you’re going through. Looks like you’re losing weight too. A friend of mine had the hip replacement surgery and though she had several months of therapy, she’s able to walk around and do tai chi again which is great.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.