Saturday, September 12, 2020

Orange Is the New Blue

 As if the COVID restrictions weren't bad enough, now we can't even go out of our house to go for a walk. 

Well, I could, but all of the medical experts are warning me not too. Breathing our smoke filled air is equivalent to smoking 24 packs of cigarettes, or something like that. 

There is an eerie yellowish-orangeish glow to everything. I did go outside to get the newspaper and took a few photos.




Interestingly, my phone camera blocks out most of the smokey color, so I stood at the window and edited the saturation until it matched what I saw outside. The flowers in front of the window are glowing. 


At least we have a house to stay inside of. So many have lost their homes to the wild fires, and more are in danger. As many as 500,000 people were under evacuation orders in Oregon alone. I just heard yesterday that long time family friends living in the foothills east of our hometown, Molalla, lost their home this week.

The death toll is rising and it is feared that it will go higher as missing are accounted for. While the weather here in Washington and Oregon is moderating and will help, California is really just beginning their fire season. If the Santa Anna winds pick up, disaster will strike even harder. 

Cabin fever is better than being cabinless. 


15 comments:

  1. Yes, I am glad your house has not been affected and I hope it remains so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a year for disasters and near disasters! The new year will be so welcome in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a praying woman, but I am sending thoughts of hope and support into the universe for this horrible time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your family friends who lost their home. I just commented to Nigel a few minutes ago that when I look out our windows I feel like I'm living on another planet. I hope our atmosphere clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The air here in Bellingham is already at 206 PM2 (very unhealthy) and looks simply awful. I am glad I have a safe and warm home to stay in and feel really bad for all those who have lost everything. It's a terrible time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worry about all of the Americans out west. Too many fires in too many states! Stay healthy and avoid that smoke. It will affect you days later. Your garden is so lovely. The phone does not capture the color of the sky. There are articles about that on the Internet. YOu have to change the phone setting to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your last quote. Quite original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad about all the fires. Yes you are better off staying indoors. So far we have escaped the smoke but who knows:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sun today looked like a full moon. It was weird. The smoke and haze are creating the same air quality problems here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, Linda! This is really frightening. I hope you are far, far away from anything dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is absolutely frightening - I've got the news on now and my heart just breaks for those affected.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While the sky is weirdly pretty, that it is so dangerous is scary. I so feel for those being de-homed by the fires and the increasing loss of life is terrifying. Hope you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your last sentence is what I think every day about.
    Rain, please come to Oregon, California and Washington!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The filthy air is all the way here in Indiana. Our skies seem overcast with a haze unlike a normal summer haze much more gray. The farmers are picking beans now too which makes it even more thick. UGH... Do take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The air at my house in California was that same smutty weird color with a strong smoky smell. Yes, I stayed in my house for about a week, and my dog Bounce did not get his twice a day walks. I am so thankful for clean air now, and that my house and city survived the fires. Two of my best friends nearby were evacuated (one for 18 days) and we are joyful they returned to their homes that were not damaged.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.