Friday, April 30, 2021

Patio Pots With Prickles and More

 This week, while Tom was doing the hard work of crawling around in the bushes and on the ground. pruning salal and pulling binder weed, I got to stand up and play with pots. 

Some years ago we started collecting more unusual plants, long before succulents became the rage. We have hardy succulents in our garden, but we began collecting tender varieties that have to live in the greenhouse over winter. Then we found other interesting plants to go with them, with names like Echeveria, Aloe, Agave, Haworthia, Crassula, Aeonium. 

Each spring I would refresh some of the pots with things that didn't winter over or got too big, or just looked ratty. Tom made cuttings of many of the rejects to replenish the supply, and we would find a few new treasures in our nursery tours. 

This year it was time to redo almost everything. With some pots I started over, with others I edited severely. We had enough supply of plants that we didn't have to buy much. 

On Thursday, pots planted, I washed them down and Tom helped me move them to the patio and arrange them along with the bigger pots of Cana, grasses and Brugmansia that Tom had already moved out.

Here is how it all looks now, ready for summer on the patio, 

Below, two special pots, the funky shaped hypertufa pot I made in a garden club class, and a cool faux stump pot with bark like texture. 

In the center, holding that sharp toothed maybe aloe is a folded pot I got from my sister Ilene's garden. It was just right for the too big plant I removed from another pot. 

You always have to be aware of the sharp spines on the Agave when you are working here. Ouch!


This old birdbath holds less tender succulents. 

I could just put one kind of plant in each pot but I can't resist creating an arrangement of color and texture in each. 
The Abutilon ( flowering maple). Purple Heart, and purple Wandering Jew also came out of the greenhouse to finish off this pot. 

And here you have it. Flowering annuals just don't do well here on this patio because of lack of enough direct sun, but there is enough heat to keep these guys happy, and they make me happy. 


16 comments:

  1. How beautiful! You sure do have a lot of them, and every one is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendid assortment you have. Like how you mix them up in the same pot. I wouldn't have thought of that. Seeing the Wandering Jew made me realize how I've missed that plant. The easiest in the world to propagate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Color , shape and size gives us much to be attracted to this arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you have your patio all set and ready for the summer. My daughter has a cacti garden on her deck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pleasant corner, It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, my kind of plants...most would survive our heat...love your ideas-especially of putting them in an old bird bath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Succulents are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you've arranged all your pots on the patio. You've got quite an assortment of both unusual pots and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting collection of plants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few succulents but yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Succulents too. Over the years I have had a few and still do. I have had a long planter on the front porch with different types but I am going to change that out this year and pack it with petunias. Just to be different. I have several Hens and Chickens scattered about. And the ever famous Autumn Joy Stonecrop sedum. They are everywhere too.
    I used to take abutilon --the young tall skinny ones---and braid them--very pretty look. I made many Bonsai with them too.
    Enjoy---it just started sprinkling up here.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely collection and arrangement of succulents! I was never into them until friends started giving me things that looked like sticks (aka firestick euphorbia) and someone gave me a big round thorny cactus that looked and is dangerous. I was taking ceramic classes and some very experienced throwers would get disappointed in their work and want to destroy what they made but gave some pieces to me when I said that I liked it. Succulents do like unusual pots and I like how easy they are to care for because I can forget to water and they are happy. I love your unusual pots and they give me inspiration.
    Currently I make pots for smaller succulents such as haworthia cooperi and (my favorite) lithops. I don't glaze them so they remain porous. They are still in the baby stage and I move the starters every day and check their condition until they are old enough to transplant into ceramic pots. What I will do with them when I have dozens of the same thing? Not sure yet - but it will be a nice dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so talented! Your flower arrangements are always stunning, and these succulents are just beautiful! I had looked at your last post, The Reeder Garden, when you published it but didn't leave a comment. The Reeder Garden is as beautiful as any I've ever seen. You and Tom are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the most amazing collection of succulents. Now you're making me want to go out and get some. They are all so diverse and beautiful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.