Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Making Lefsa

We made lefse today. I thought I posted about this last year, and I may have, but I couldn't locate it in my archive, so I'm using the pics I took last year. The process, and the mess, is the same. This is potato lefse, a Scandinavian "tortilla" made with potatoes and flour. I make the mashed potatoes a day ahead. They must be cold. Then I add an uncertain amount of flour - the amount it takes to be able to form a soft dough - not too much, just enough. I go by feel. Shape the dough into balls. Each ball is rolled out very thin on a well floured cloth. I have an old cotton flour sack that fits perfectly on my pull-out cutting board.
My rounds are rustic, not so perfectly round.
The rounds are transferred to the griddle with a special stick. This is a delicate operation, and Tom's job.
Watch for the brown spots, and don't overcook.
Stack the lefse rounds to cool.
Then wrap in plastic ( I don't think this is "traditional") and store in the refrigerator until needed.
When you are ready to eat the lefse, brush it with melted butter.
Sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar.
Cut it in wedges and roll.
Warm gently in the microwave ( another non-traditional modern convenience) and serve.
I have been making lefse for quite a few years now. I'm the only member of my large family that still makes it, so I take it to share at the Norquist family gathering. It quickly disappears. Even my German Swiss mother likes it!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks like a lot of work for something that can be eaten in a few seconds! Looks delicious.

    Also, that is the first time for me to see such a griddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! My mother never made it but she did know a place where she could by it. I still remember how good it tasted with the butter and cinnamon sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that from last year and it looks delicious, I've been thinking of making some swedish pancakes and that reminds me of lefse but sweeter=I'll use splenda and sugar free jam. Ah-sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These remind me of the krumcakes I made when my kids were teenagers. Those used a special iron that you sat on a burner and flipped it back and forth. You had to work very fast rolling them into cone shapes. Hot!

    I also made rosettes, or something like that. I deep fried those, dipping a form into batter. After they were done I dipped them in powdered sugar. Teenagers can consume large trays of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy, Linda. I loved this post and I really LOVED seeing that fabulous photo of you in your kitchen. What a fun tradition! We used to make sushi at new years and pass them out to our neighbors and friends in Illinois. They tell me they missed it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the photos have made my mouth water! What a lovely tradition you are carrying on. Its nice that you and your husband make this together. Oh I wished I had one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing you baking Linda..like watching the 'food channel'. I seem to remember this..maybe not with all the photos.. For some reason I thought this had to do with fish... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it looks yummy. I know this dough but the cooking is new and the final touch with the cinnamon sugar. I have to try it, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These really do look delicious. I love that you follow this tradition and take this treat to family gatherings. I can only imagine what a treat these are to all.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.