Monday, February 22, 2010

The Right to Arm Bears, and Other Stuff

I just love Rachel Maddow (MSNBC). I just learned from her that the new credit card protection bill takes affect today. You now have more protections from ruthless credit card companies. That's good, but it does still require you to be informed, you know, like actually reading your bill. But attached to that bill, signed last spring, was an amendment allowing visitors to our national parks to carry loaded firearms within park boundaries. Do park rangers get to be armed? I don't know, but I'm thinking we could literally have another shoot out at the OK Corral. Amazing. What a country! I have been missing Rachel during the Olympics, since we usually record her show to watch later, and instead watch the local and national NBC news. But I'm feeling much less informed, what with the lack of depth on those news shows. So today we just had dinner with Rachel, and watched her live. Am I allowed to say I'm growing a bit weary of the Olympics? Oh, I like most of the competition, but it's so hard to stay awake through all of the commercials and chats and a bit of this and a bit of that, all of which is really over anyway here on the left coast. Grrr. We've had a week of remarkably sunny, mild weather. I have been out for an exercise walk almost every day. Back in the house, I'm getting my physical therapy exercises done, I'm almost finished with Irene's Easter/birthday dress, and I'm halfway through Dan Brown's latest thriller. I manage to squeeze in some blogging time most days. The magazines are piling up unread. There aren't enough hours in the day!

9 comments:

  1. I also like Rachel Maddow but I'm not sure I'm ready to get back into the news yet, other than local news. I'm not disappointed with the President but I am more than disappointed with Americans.

    It's okay with me for you to say you're growing tired of the olympics. I didn't make it through the opening ceremony before being tired of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a busy bee, would love to see the new dress. I know have a sweet little grand daughter to make dresses for should I find some extra time. You are busy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David records the Olympics on his DVR. After dinner, he fast forwards through it, watching the ones he is interested in. He tells me which ones to watch also, as I prefer to work at the computer.

    Be sure to post a pic of Irene's dress. You are so talented in many things. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Rachel too.

    You should be over here if you want to be tired of the Olympics! We only get a few hours in the evening of live stuff which usually consists of ski jumping and biathalon. And, the commentary is all in French which I don't understand! *sigh* I've pretty much given up on them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark and I were dismayed to read of the "guns allowed in Federal parks". We have beautiful Acadia National Park three hours from here and cannot fathom the need for people to be hiking, biking, climbing with guns on their hips! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love Rachel. She really tells it like it is. I hadn't heard about the guns in parks bill. Bummer! Why do so many people feel the need to be armed? Geez, People!

    I'm still enjoying the Olympics, but I, too, have found myself sneaking over to see what's on elsewhere. How many men do we really need to see fly off the side of a ski slope?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand how carrying guns into a national park is in any way related to credit card reform. That kind of stuff should be illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was appalled about the guns in the National Parks. Some people jealously guard their right to carry. What about my right not to carry a weapon? What about our right to feel safe without a weapon?
    As for the Olympics, I too enjoy the compitition but I don't have the patience to sit in front of the TV for long. We've been saving it on the computer and just watching a sample.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Rachel..I tape the Olympics so I can skip all the commercials...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.