Monday, February 1, 2010

A New Month, A New Me

It's February!
I whipped out this little table mat Saturday just in time. And I used up some more fabric I had laying around from previous projects. It's time for hearts and flowers, pink, white, red. It's always time for chocolate!
I am feeling like a new person, or maybe I should say, like my old self. Since before Christmas, my physical symptoms had been getting steadily worse. Was it caused by my back problem? Was it progressive arthritis? I didn't know and neither did my doctor seem to. So I finally decided to take action. Physical therapy and exercise weren't helping.
Tom had a prescription for Naproxen, which he had taken for arthritic pain. It's an NSAID anti-inflammatory drug and I figured that's what I needed to settle down my ankle and knee. I emailed my doctor to see if she would prescribe it for me. When I got the positive response, I started taking Tom's until I got my own. I began taking 500mg twice a day last Monday. The first few days I got no relief. By the fourth day, I was hurting much less. After that each day got better. By the weekend Tom said he noticed how much easier I seemed to be moving around. My therapy exercises used to be so painful in my right knee and ankle that it was torture. Now I can do them easily.
Without the pain I am sleeping at night. Everything is easier, and life is so much better. I'll stay on this dosage for another week or so, and then taper off and see how it goes.
I know this is just one battle, with many more to come. But from now on I'm asking "Can you give me a pill for that?"

11 comments:

  1. Naproxen is also the drug for gout. We keep over-the-counter, store brand, on hand all the time. What we have now is from Costco. It's their store brand, Kirkland, 220 mg. Double it and you're close to Rx strength. Of course if your doctor gives you a Rx it may be cheaper to get it that way.

    My doctor won't prescribe it and the few times he's had me take it he said to use the over-the-counter kind and double it. He doesn't like those kind of drugs. He makes me take Prilosec when he tells me to take it for a few days.

    Most of the time I take one in the morning and it really does help. Sometimes I switch and take one at night. Only 220 mg per day.

    I don't like pain so I'm for whatever works to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blogs new look, can tell you feel better. If a pill does it, go for it. It's not fun to be in pain. What a cheerful sewing project just in time for valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you've been in so much pain, but I'm glad you are feeling better. Love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're feeling so much better! And that you've found something that works! Terrific! And your blog shows the difference! I believe you're ready for Valentine's Day! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you got some relief. The OTC is Aleve... It gives me a stomach ache but it is good for that kind of pain....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda, I enjoy reading your blog so much, and keeping up with you that way. I do wish we lived closer to each other and could share coffee mornings.
    I take arthrotec for my pain. I do believe it helps, because I went off it for awhile, only to go back on it quite quickly. I was taking two a day, but backed off to one.
    I am feeling a little bit spunkier, I can see signs of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad Naproxin is helping you Linda. I used to take it for neck pain in the mornings and it worked well but my doc has now given me something else. Mainly because the naproxin pills are so large and hard to swallow. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Better living through chemistry! If I didn't take medicine, there would be no way I could function well enough to do anything. So good to hear the life that is back in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely header, so very cheerful! And your table runner is beautiful and just perfect for this month. I too just started Naproxen (prescription strength 550 mg.) at bedtime for severe knee pain as well as the arthritis pain I am dealing with, 10 days ago and I think it is starting to really help me! I was glad to see you were having good results as well. Its draining to live with chronic pain and I am hoping this is my new "fix"! I sure miss my active days and will continue to try my darndest to return to them! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you found something that gave you relief! And it sounds like you have a good doctor who is willing to work with you.

    Have a great weekend Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda. I had a bout of bad arthritis some years ago. It was triggered by a trip out of the country. I was hurting all over. I had to have cortisone shots in my eye even. My daughter suggested naproxen. (My doctors weren't helping me at all). But it made my already lowish blood pressure drop very low and I got very sick and felt faint and couldn't keep good down. The doctor put me on ibuprophen 800 mg. That seemed to work ok. But it took time. I was very I'll for a long while.

    So this over the counter from costco is called naproxen? I was told ibuphrophen is naproxen. But that was the one doctor. Never heard that again.

    Anyway I am happy you're feeling better. The photo is very cheery!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.