Sunday, February 7, 2010

Urban Trekking - Ballard

We didn't get the sunny day we were expecting, but we headed out anyway after the sky stopped dripping. We just recently found out about the Ballard Sunday Market. It's a sister market to neighboring Fremont's, with the arts and crafts and "antiques" and weirdness in Fremont, and the produce and farm products in Ballard.
Lots of "eat locally" folks were shopping, carrying their reusable grocery bags. While where we live out in the suburbs, many folks don't bother, people in urban villages like Ballard really do try to have a positive affect on their environment.
Colorful potatoes.
I am amazed at how many people in the city have big dogs. This one was in paradise - "Oh, boy, MEAT" and "Ah, some one's petting me." Wag, wag!
Winter produce.
Tulips already. They must be hot house bloomers. It has been warm, but not quite that warm.
People were lining up for hot dogs and pizza and crepes and dining on the street.
We bought artisan cheese from three different vendors, which we'll enjoy later with wine.
Then we drifted on over to Market Street and had coffee and a sandwich at a Starbucks while people watching the foot traffic on the sidewalk.
After lunch we drove to the locks and then the marina for some more vigorous walking. I'll have more pics tomorrow.
It looks like the Saints need some support. I'm moving to my recliner, where I'll try to stay awake. Gotta' watch the commercials, right? I've seen a few laugh-out-loud spots already.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day. I live in Ballard and everyone in our neighborhood has a big dog, including my son, of course! Poor Sam! But he gets along well with them. After living in Portland for 16 years, moving to Ballard was like stepping back in time. I still feel that way, but I didn't have the access to the water in Portland like I do here. A big river still isn't the same. So I'm quite happy. Hope you have a great week, Linda!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time we visited a farmers market after moving to Oregon I was aghast at the number of dogs. Huge dogs, tiny dogs, and every size in between.

    I believe Portland has had some discussion about making theirs off limits to dogs because of crowding. Some of those dogs are people size.

    I doubt, however, Portland will do much about it. People get testy when you mess with their dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to spend the day. I was so impressed by the wonderful variety of winter vegetables. And I loved the wagging tail! The tulips were a bright ray of sunshine to me today! I am not watching the game (but when I ever have I have always done it for the commercials)but feel bad as my husband is on call in the hospital and was to be off work at 3 p.m. and its now almost 9 p.m. He has so looked forward to the game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a very cool market. I love shopping outdoors. And tulips-looks like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss my weekly local farmer's market. It is on its winter hiatus. Once or twice a month I do trek to one of the year around markets farther away.
    Spring will be here soon with all its bounty. I saw just a few blossoms in some of the orchards last week as we drove home from Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plenty of nice produce Linda. Hope the potatoes were nice? - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.