Thursday, February 11, 2010

Making Tifo With the Guys

Well, it wasn't giant flags we were making for tifo tonight, after all. It was "overheads". Now how do I explain this? At a soccer match, supporter groups put on displays especially during the introduction time before the game starts. This includes chants, songs, scarves, flags, and for a brief but flashy few minutes, huge banners held over the heads of whole sections. Tonight we were sewing green bed sheets together to make section size banners. By evening's end we had made two panels 2 full size bed sheets wide by 4 sheets long. I gave up trying to remember how big that is - just BIG! At first we had to feel our way through the process.
I did the first few seams, demonstrating the serger.
Soon I had Joe driving the machinery while I stood by to assist.
By the time my back was giving out, the guys were in command.
Like I said - BIG!
This is only half of one panel.
Now the guys are gone and we've got everything put away. We'll do a little packing before we turn in for the night.
-
Tomorrow after our Friday morning breakfast with friends, we'll head for Whidbey Island. I'll be out of touch for a while. See you next week, have fun watching the Olympics, and
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

13 comments:

  1. Here is an example of an overhead deployed by the Emerald City Supporters before last March's innaugural
    match:
    http://www.weareecs.com/ecs_photos/2009_ecs_photos/20090319/tonightourhistorybanner.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, gracious! That is big. I feel like I've been away for months. Glad to see you're still having fun. Have a terrific Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, and I thought making drapes was bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow and even more wow! What a project. Now that is what I call "team spirit"! Looks as if its a great family activity as well. I do love the color! Have a great weekend and Happy Valentine's Day to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun family project, great to have all that help. have a good weekend and valentines...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Valentine's Day to you too! I can't wait to see your Whidbey photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a BIG tifo Linda. Glad you got the guys on it. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bernt and I from Skamhed in old Sweden wish you all a Happy Valentines Day.
    And luck for your big work in textile.
    Inga-Britt.aente

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy mackeral!! That is quite a huge accomplishment, I hope we get to see a picture of the finished product. I imagine that might not be possible!!bilerdso

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent a 'Holy Mackeral'...what a huge accomplishment!!! And it didn't post!?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 79"x102 is the size of these full size sheets. Overall sizing should end up being 26.3' x 17'.

    Secret Squirrel :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just in case you wanted to see what they looked like when finished...

    http://northendsupporters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_0186.jpg

    It only gets bigger from here.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.