Thursday, June 24, 2010

Afghanistan

For those of you who don't care to read about political issues, you might just want to skip this posting. I have had the whole Afghanistan/Pakistan dilemma on my mind as a result of the latest news cycles, and because of reading Greg Mortenson's books. I know enough to know I don't know enough. But what I do know is that as long as we keep killing people, us and them, we will not "win". The Taliban is determined and will not give up. And it's their turf. The innocents that die or are horribly injured cause their families to turn against us. Our soldier death tolls are mounting again as predicted. And yet we here in the US are paying less attention to the war, a point that is leading to the frustration of the troops and their leaders. That was a major part of the cause of the fall of General McChrystal. I just read No good answers in Afghanistan by Thomas Friedman in our morning paper. You can find it at: Opinion The generals and the president have no good answers in Afghanistan Seattle Times Newspaper What it tells me is that we don't really know what we're doing over there. We don't have good answers to some key questions. Most important are these two: Do our interests merit such an escalation, and do we have the allies to achieve victory? Other questions that lead to those answers include: Why do we have to recruit and train Afghans to fight? They are very good at it when they want to be and have been fighting for 30 years. We don't train the Taliban, and they are holding us off. It's not about the way, it's the will. Any lasting action must start with them. The Afghans must have ownership in any lasting solution. We cannot impose order. The Afghan president stole the election and is corrupt. He will take care of himself and his cohorts before giving any thought to his people. If we "win", what do we get? Afghanistan has never been a principal player in the region. And what is "winning"? I have come to the conclusion, at least today, that we need to hold to our time line of beginning withdrawal a year from now, and we need to get the hell out of there! There are many humanitarian concerns that arise if we leave. But let humanitarians deal with those, not soldiers. Soldiers are trained to shoot people.

9 comments:

  1. It is a sad situation for all involved truly a lose/lose. The Russians couldn't win despite their tremendous power and force. I think we should get out too and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very thoughtful post Linda..it reminds me of Vietnam...possibly not able to win it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately the previous administration waged war without a clear understanding of the culture or the goals. The British and the Russians left the situation worse than when they started and I fear we are doomed to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with you, Linda. Yes, let Obama's pledge to start the withdrawal of troops come true next year.

    But, why are we fighting the Taliban? We should be fighting Al Quaida, the ones responsible for 9-11.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Linda, and I do so agree! We need to get out and the sooner the better. We will be cleaning up after the previous administration for many years to come I'm afraid.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember George Bush saying Iraq is not Vietnam. Well, Afghanistan is sounding like Vietnam just as much as Iraq did. The sad thing is Americans don't really undertand the issues and many don't even care. It doesn't affect them so they ignore it as just an annoying number of more troops lost. The war is also another drain in our economy. Where will it end?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I agree with you and the bloggers who have posted comments. It is a terrible situation, and it makes me angry when people blame Pres Obama for everything.
    To quote the Billy Joel song,
    "He[Obama] didn't start the fire!"
    Bush did!
    And I hope that we can exit with as few casualties as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just don't know the correct answer either. I had already read that piece by Friedman, and I ponder the terrible situation we are in, unable to go forward and unable to leave. Thanks for the thoughtful post making me realize I am not alone...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very complicated and too depressing...and very much like Viet Nam.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.