Monday, June 14, 2010

A Day on Elliot Bay

Saturday afternoon Jill came back from spending two days with her brother and friends, helping to launch the world cup, collected the kids and headed to Chehalis for an overnight with her cousin Katie and her three kids, two of which are the same age as Isaac and Irene. From there on Sunday they went to Aunt Jan's house in Gig Harbor for the afternoon. Freed up from child care for a day, Tom and I spent much of Sunday touring gardens. It was a nice change of pace. Today we took advantage of yet another dry, mild day to do our Seattle tour. We rode the light rail into the city, getting off at Pioneer Square Station. We paused in the Pergola and posed with the totem pole in Pioneer Square. Then we headed to Coleman Dock, the downtown ferry terminal, to do a walk-on trip across the bay to Bainbridge Island. As we waited to depart, we watched jelly fish floating in the sound.
It was a beautiful day for a boat ride.
Gotta' check out the white water churning as we pull out from the dock.
The Seattle skyline recedes.
These are Super Class ferries, about twice as big as the ones we ride to go to Whidbey Island.
On the other side, we got off as required and then waited to get back on board for the return to Seattle.
Back in the city we headed to Ivar's for fish and chips on the dock. The sea gulls were waiting for their french fries. This rail table was just right for the kids to take in the action.
Good catch!
And another!
We want more!
After eating we had some fun with Ivar himself.
Hey, this isn't the Antarctic.
Love that skyline.
The fountain at Waterfront Park.
A new attraction has been added since we were here last year.
Watch out for that Giant Pacific Octopus!
After three years of doing many of the same things, the kids have some old friends here by the bay. And I do believe they are wearing the same tie dye we bought at the market three years ago!
The Market pig is another old friend.
No fish were flying while we were there at the fish market.
Tasting fresh peaches.
Tom purchased some cheese at Beechers.
By now we were all tired, so we said good bye to the Market and the waterfront, and headed to the Westlake Station for our ride home, but not before stopping next door at a McDonald's for some refreshing ice cream.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm sorry to say I've never been to Seattle. I must put that on my urgent to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun sunny day, just perfect for sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day! And your photos are terrific! We do live in a fantastic city, don't we? I do love Seattle!!
    The kids look as though they're having such a great time! Thanks for sharing the fun! Hope the rest of your week goes well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the weather was nice for you and the kids. I know how tired you were of rain. Seattle is very pretty. David spent 2 weeks there with friends back in 1979.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if the new banner photo was your own, and then there it was in the mix! Great pictures. When I go to Seattle I always visit the Market, but I've never taken the Bainbridge ferry. Now I will have to, since I've had such a great pre-tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely day you had! Ferry rides are a favorite of ours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a glorious city you live in. Great art gallery there too. You are simply wonderful grands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful photos! I thoroughly enjoyed this post and really hope I can get to Seattle one day. How fun it must be to have your daughter and grandchildren to share trips and fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of many of our favorite places in Seattle. No wonder we put up with so much drizzle! When it is nice, there is no place finer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to visit Seattle some day..you had great photos to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had so much fun seeing this post and revisiting all the places we enjoyed during our trip there last year. I especially loved seeing those seagulls near Ivars.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.