Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wedding Gifts

We will be attending a wedding July 10th, when the granddaughter of a good teacher friend is married. Of course, that means buying a wedding gift. Today's couples register at their choice of stores by going around with a scan gun and zapping anything they would like to have. Some lists are just amazing. This young couple has quite a practical list. They are registered at JC Penny and Target. She has just graduated from college and he is in the Navy. He is being reassigned to Hawaii, where he will go after the wedding and arrange housing before she goes to join him. The Navy will pack and ship household goods. So of course I went on line to check out the gift registry lists. While the choices were all commonsensical and practical, they left me uninspired. So when I purchased the gift this morning, I did not buy it from their registry. I don't know if there was or will be a bridal shower, but many of the items seemed appropriate for a shower gift. And I know most people will shop off the registry. But when I give a gift I like it to be something special and I just have this old fashioned idea that a wedding gift should be something you have a long time and treasure. So, I shopped at Macy's. I went on line to find what I wanted, and then went to the store this morning and bought the Marquis by Waterford crystal candle sticks; classic, elegant and timeless, to me a true wedding gift. So I'm wondering, do you give only from a registry? Do you give a gift because someone wants it, even if you don't really enjoy giving it? What do you do?

6 comments:

  1. I have never given a gift from the registry, I choose something and give it to the couple. My very favorite wedding present I received was the gift of two crystal goblets, which we use on special occasions like Thanksgiving, our anniversary, and Christmas. So I think your gift is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on how close I am to the couple. I like to make things that express me and are creative like wall hangings or wreath arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why give them what they might not want? The registries that couples have chosen have always been at Macy's in Hawaii -- very expensive crystal or china or silver. One gift was so expensive, I could afford to buy only one crystal goblet. It was one of eight she wanted. Very beautiful and exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very lazy shopper and I actually am quite practical, too. If the couple asked for garbage cans, I'd probably go ahead and get it. However, they will definitely treasure the Waterford candlesticks. I know I sure would. You are very generous!

    The couple will probably enjoy living on base housing. I've seen many of them and they sure are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It depends. If I'm just one of a thousand receiving a shower invitation and not particularly close to the family, I give something from the list, as inexpensive as possible.

    If the family is special to me I shop off the list. When I married I received a cut glass bowl that I used almost daily until a sister-in-law broke it. She felt so bad she replaced it with another cut glass bowl but it was never the same. I seldom used it because it had feet on it that were a pain in the fridge. I still have two or three glass wedding gifts that are special to me today. The candle sticks were an excellent choice. Where ever they may live in their military career their home will need to be decorated and the candle sticks will be a nice reminder of home. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually, I shop from the registry for the shower, and give money for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.