Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Whidbey Weekend: Part II - September Signs

Joan of My Retirement Chronicles , who always posts beautiful photos, encouraged readers to get out there and find end of summer beauty. I had that in mind as I took my camera with me to Whidbey Island.
Arriving Friday afternoon, I found Useless Bay a study in shades of gray. Gone were the sunny days of summer. Of course, around here, there aren't THAT many sunny days in summer either.
While most have taken their boats in, a few remained on the water. It's always a risk to leave them out, not knowing when a wind storm might swamp them. I've seen it happen several times.
A few are year round residents on the beach and their flags are still flying.
But the poles of the summer houses are flag less.
Even the seagulls didn't seem to want to take on the white capped water.
The Seattle skyline adds another element of gray in the distance.
Abandoned shoes. Laying here all weekend, I could only assume that these shoes did not make it into the packing up after Labor Day. Hopefully they were replaced by new school shoes and not missed.
The neighbors dahlias add a spot of color.
At the Saturday farmer's market at Bayview, artisans were at work. Here a spinner prepares yarn for weaving.
This young man was selling his water color paintings. We bought a card to frame. His work had a charming, primitive style.
A potter entertained her gentleman audience. And me too.
I turned around and spotted this scene, and it just struck my fancy, all the white haired ladies and the matching dog.
Sunflowers in many hues are featured now in the flower stalls.
I loved these rainbow carrots.
And I bought myself a September bouquet.

10 comments:

  1. what lovely photos, the colors are so bright after the grays of the end of summer. A beautiful place to enjoy so close to your year round home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply LOVE the grey skies, they are so elegant and subtle. And the beautiful bouquet you bought yourself, it's lovely, filled with fall colors. I'm glad you are taking Joan seriously and capturing the fall in your visuals. Tomorrow I'll be going up to Chain Lakes and Herman Saddle and hopefully it won't be rain but nice grey skies instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the carrots as I have never seen any except orange ones.

    Very nice, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the white haired ladies with the white dog.

    Your family managed to have a wonderful time between the ocean and Widby Island in spite of it being a cooler than normal summer.

    I'm ready now to see your latest design for princess Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of a beautiful place. My favorite time to visit the Gulf Islands or the Olympic Peninsula is after all the tourists and sunshine have gone...........I like the grey skies and big breezes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly did find end-of-summer beauty. I enjoyed these photos so much, as I do all of your photos. I've never seen rainbow carrots before. I'll have to keep an eye out for some in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for the shout out to my blog, Sweetie!
    Loved, loved these photos...I think my favorite is the one of your neighbor's dahlias...all that color in a row on the left of the shot compared to the grays elsewhere...and the carrots are so cool, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who would have thought that shades of gray could be so beautiful!
    I love those multi-colored carrots, too and the beauty and colors of that farmer's market.
    We're going to visit Whidbey Island one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I think the gray skies are beautiful in their "own" way...to me it makes me appreciate color more when it appears. The skies are a beautiful palette for us to color as we see fit. I would love to stroll through the market, such pretty flowers and interesting artisans at work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking us along on this glorious day! You really got a whole lot of blackberries. I don't believe I've ever had them except in jam. I'm wondering if they're very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.