Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Busy Saturday

We were pokey getting going this morning, because we could be, and suddenly it was time to get to Isaac's first soccer game of the season.  We did take time to stop at Starbucks for coffee on the way.


Isaac's team is the Wolverines.  These nine-year-olds take their soccer pretty seriously.  They actually listen to the coach.
 Grandpa has his coffee, Grandma has her camera, and Irene, who is ready for her game later, has a diary just in case she needs something to do.  But she mostly hung out with us and her daddy.  Mom Jill was on the supporter bus to Portland along with Jake for the Sounders match against our big rivals. But back to that later.
 Isaac is becoming quite a good ball handler and passer.
 After living near the airport for a year now, he isn't so distracted by low flying aircraft.  Good thing, since they were flying right over the field.
 Ahhh, I can't believe I let that happen!
 Corey and I shooting it out.
 Isaac and his cousin Carson are on the same team.  (They're actually 3rd cousins, but who's counting.)
 That's the look of a boy who has been playing hard.
 Good game, guys.  One game, one win.
 Then we drove west to another local field for the first game of the Mud Dogs, so named, Irene explained to me, because once it starts raining they are going to get muddy.  But today they were lovely in their pink and blue with matching hair bows.



 Irene's coach was quite surprised to see her becoming so assertive on the field, since at practice she had been quite timid.  I guess competition can bring the animal out in a girl.
 Irene's supporter section.  I gave Isaac my camera and let him go for a while.  Some of these pics are his.
 Oranges and water at half time.
 The kids have these fancy water bottles with a spray mister.  Isaac assists Irene with the cool down.
 The seven year old girls play four a side, and with eight on the team, they all get equal playing time, so they all get lots of opportunity to learn.
 It's nearing end of the game, and she's got the rosy cheeks from running hard.
 Yay team!

After the second match we hurried home to watch the Sounders who were playing in Portland beginning at 12:30.  At halftime, we had to shut it off and leave it to the DVR recorder so that we could get to the first meeting of a small garden club we are planning to be a part of.  We met at a fellow gardener's home on nearby Renton.  So far there are just five of us, but we hope to recruit a few more.  We spent today getting to know each other and deciding when to meet and future topics.

We got back home about 4:30, not knowing how the soccer match had ended.  At half it had been 0-0.  We watched the recorded second half.  It was intense soccer with Portland playing for all they were worth and the Sounders not so much.  It ended in a disappointing 1-1 tie.

Then Tom taped the family room in preparation for painting the rest of it tomorrow before we went out for a quick meal.  Back home I had time to get in a quick walk before it got dark.

Tomorrow morning I'm going out for a long walk, and then I'm going to watch some football.  I think I'll actually cook dinner, too. Tom is going to paint and mow the lawn.  We're heading to Rockaway on the Oregon Coast on Tuesday to spend a few days there at the cabin, so we have things to get done. There, any busyness will be all play.  That will be nice.

11 comments:

  1. What amazing photos to document both their happy games! Irene's Mud Dogs must be the cutest, most fashionable soccer team around. I can see that Isaac is a very determined, give everything you got type athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these pictures, especially the last one, with expressions that say it all. You are still looking pretty svelte, Linda. I like that picture of you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that last photo. It is one to framed and put on Grandma's desk. This was a great read.

    Cousins are cousins. Who needs to count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I posted twice. Blogger is slow sometimes and I thought it didn't go through. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post made me tired, but it was a good tired. You packed
    a lot into one day. It's great that Irene is into sports. I think it helps girls build positive body images and self esteem. I was too cowardly to join sports teams, plus I lived on a farm too far from school to be shuttled back and froth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your family blog today Linda. Those soccer pictures were good action shots. Irene and her team mates looked cute in their blue and pink uniforms with those cute ribbons in their hair. Isaac and Irene both seem to be getting into their soccer now. A sign of maturity? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,

    What a perfect day! So fun, and so busy. Loved all of the pictures of both kids.

    Have fun at the beach.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got caught up on your blog. I'm so envious of your Whidbey Island house! I'd love to have a place like that.

    Also, Irene reminds me of one of my good friends with the same name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Irene has grown, hasn't she. Cute grandkids! My little Julia is learning how to play soccer at school also. She has been receiving tips from her dad and is playing better now. Enjoy your stay on the Oregon coast.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.