Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Making Time for Me

This morning we didn't get out of bed until after 8:30!

Jill's house has been keeping us very busy.  We are all making progress, but it can be exhausting.  We all worked Sunday afternoon and all day Monday getting more things set up and more boxes unpacked. I even got started on a yard project there.  We have to remove some shrubbery in order to put up the shed we moved from the rental.  I began the bush whacking yesterday.

It rained over night, and this morning was gray and drizzly, a good morning for a slow start.  And not a good morning for more bush whacking.  My other choices were to get a blood test, go to the pet care store for food for Josy, find batteries for my digital scale (weight watching is important right now), and restock the grocery supply.  Then there was my own house to clean.  

Tom went off to the other house to get indoor mechanical/ electrical projects done.  Those are not things I can really help with.  I went off to tackle that list I mentioned. 

By 2:00 I had a decision to make.  I could finish the housework, go to Jill's house and work, or go for a walk.

You see, after the rain, we had afternoon sun breaks!  That's the official weather term here for when the clouds clear enough for the sun to shine through periodically.
 I went for a walk!  The heart shaped puddle on the sidewalk was newly filled. 
It did great things for my spirit to walk in the sunshine and an almost warm 60°.


My pedometer registered 3.77 miles as I returned home, and checked out a few things in my own yard that I hadn't taken time to look at for a while.
I discovered that a diseased native dogwood had come down on the garden deck trellis.  More work to do when we get back to our yard. 
 The clematis in the rose tree said "Take your time.  I'm still blooming". 

And then I went back inside and finished the vacuuming and dusting!  

10 comments:

  1. Good for you! We have to do this sort of thing for ourselves. I have to remind myself all the time that if I don't take care of myself, I won't be any good for anyone. The heart shaped puddle is quite cool. See, you must take care of the that heart of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good you had a sun break and were able to take some nice pictures. The worst part of moving is unpacking. It will soon be over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so good to take time for yourself, after such effort to get Jill and the kids settled in their new home. I think they are so blessed to have you nearby! I don't think I could sleep that late, even if I tried. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You obviously needed the break, so your body took over and let you sleep in. My VT garden is now completely black and withered except for a few hearty herbs. My flowers were lovely this past summer, but I hardly noticed them after doing a lot of transplanting in the spring. It seemed as though they wanted a break from my ministrations and were happy to be left on their own for a season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. That is called taking advantage of a great day. Food for the soul that we all need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sun breaks are very special this time of year and you owe it to yourself to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can't keep up with helping others if your well is empty-good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so lovely, Linda. After catching up on your posts I'm seeing that I really need to get out there walking again. I didn't get much real exercise while in Illinois. My life is still not completely back to normal. A few more days should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also am solar powered, so a walk in the sunshine makes me better for the future jobs. Lovely walk, and good job with getting your daughter moved. I'm sure she would be the first to give you a break to walk in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes we still have flowers blooming. They're just not ready to give up and that's ok with me. I do big buds on the Helleborus so that is neat also.
    I told Bob I have to walk everyday but didn't make it out yesterday. Oh I was outside-but not for a walk. Just regular chores so I will have to consider that my 'walk'. haha
    MB

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.