Wednesday, August 24, 2016

They're Back!

We were actually up and dressed this morning when we saw the pelicans fly over the bay, circle around, sizing up the sand bar,  and then settling on a narrow band still above the rising water.



 The other end of the sandbar was occupied by gulls and terns.


 As the rising tide began to lap over the pelican's perch, they began to swim toward the gulls.
 Would there be a confrontation?  Nope. The pelicans just sailed on by.
 Last man standing. OK, we'd better go too.

 Just follow the leader. I wonder if he knows where he's going. 
 Why are we swimming and walking? We do have wings, you know.
 The beach! Seriously, We're going to the beach?

 I guess so. So now what?
Well, they stayed on the beach and I went back to the cabin for breakfast. While we were eating we saw them lift off and fly over to their pond behind the sand bar beach.

I guess that was enough adventure for one day. 

14 comments:

  1. They are sure interesting looking birds, aren't they? I saw a movie once called "Pelican Dreams" and have never felt the same about them since. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I just love those pelicans! I wish they hung out at my beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great show! Hope they stay for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once while I was volunteering at a wetlands Pelicans came. They had strayed far off their flight plan and were only at the wetlands a day or so but it was exciting to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice close-ups. I wonder if they know they live in paradise. Beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, I have never seen anything like it before in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shots! It was beautiful to see them sitting in a big line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are fun to watch, we see them sometimes in the refuge. I think a group is called a Pod of Pelicans:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see a flock of Pelicans. What a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pelicans are very majestic fliers. I call them 737's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty amazing place to have your cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your pelican sequence. Great captures and descriptions. What facinating and comical birds.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.