Saturday, May 4, 2024

Another Busy Week


 This was a week when I kind of had to hurry to find time even to see what was happeing in my own garden.

Rhododendrons are blooming.


Tom picked this bloom from our Cynthia rhodie, which is blooming again after a long time without many blooms. It is not in the best of locations. 
Monday was busy with PT, laundry, and housekeeping. Then we visited a local nursery, looking for the geraniums we wanted. 

Tuesday I had a PT appointment and got new exercises. I spent some time practicing them and fitting them into my current routine. I paid the bills and did the accounting, then wrote the check for the second half of our property taxes. More and year every year. We watched a late afternoon Sounders match being played in Philly. We finally won one. 

Wednesday morning I did my now longer whole list of PT exrcises, and then we took a van full of plants to my sister Laurie in Chehalis for her garden club's plant sale. Tom collects plants all year from cuttings, divisions, and seedlings from our garden to give away. He had the van loaded and ready to go.

The plant sale coordinator, Laurie and Tom. 

Ours were the first plants to arrive. Laurie shared with us photos of last year's scholarship recipients, which this plant sale funds. It's nice to know we are helping young people.

Then Laurie took us to lunch at this 123 year old tavern, where the locals were also enjoying lunch. I love exploring fun old places with local history. 
In the afternoon we went to several plant nurseries, while driving around in the country,  a fun little rural road trip. 

When we got home, we found this lovely bouquet of May Day flowers from daughter Jill. She knows I love flowers. It was a very good May Day. 


Tom had to skip our lunch out because he was on Colonoscopy prep day. His proceedure wasn't until 3:00 on Thursday afternoon, so in the morning we worked outside to get the plants we had been collecting planted before the weather change we knew was coming. 

The geraniums we found on Monday.

Tom's proceedure went well on Thurday and we went out to dinner to celebrate his being able to eat. 

On Friday we did the usual breakfast out and grocery shopping. We made a trip to REI to get a new walking stick for me, since my old one was broken. 

Then in the afternoon we planted more of the plants that we had been accumulating.

The impatiens and plectranthus that were waiting in the greenhouse. There are more now planted in the front porch pots. 

We kind of wore ourselves out so were were moving slowly this Saturday morning. We both had to groan through our long routines of PT and then we went plant shopping again. 

We visited Vassey's Nursery in Puyallup and found some things we were looking for, plus a few other fun things. We love that nursery and the plants were all so beautiful. I did not take photos, but just enjoyed being there. 

A Starbucks stop was requirement for our run-away day.


Then we decided to skip the big nursery we knew well, Watson's, and check out a nursery in Edgewood we used to visit long ago, that now has new owners and has been expanded. 



We had fun exploring, and Tom found some of the fancy leaf geraniums he had been looking for. 
We bought this for fun, something new and different, and when we checked out, the clerk said he did the same thing. 


Mini-hostas for Tom's collection.
The Black eyed Susan vine I was looking for. 

We got home in time for a little late lunch, time for me to read the paper and work the puzzles, and to watch the 150th running of the Kentucky Derby.

 Now this post is complete. I'll go work my Wordle before fixing some supper. I'll try not to wait so long before posting the next post. :-/

I do have more plants to plant now, though. But it's raining. 


9 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a LOT! You have been very busy indeed. I'm so glad Tom had his colonoscopy and can rest easy for the next several years. It's awfully kind of you to donate so many plants to the sale to benefit scholarships for students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy busy days! Wordle has been rather difficult lately - especially last week, imo. Overt and Lucid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful plants! Thanks for taking us along during your shopping. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been very busy indeed! Love the plants you found at the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the colonoscopy was good! And I do love all the wonderful plants you showed me. Lovely indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were extremely busy. I have trouble doing as much PT exercises as prescribed. It takes a long time and like you I'm busy. Colonoscopies? Does anybody like them? A three PM appointment would be punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Black-eyed Susan vine and the bouquet that Jill gave you is wonderfully colourful.
    You keep finding so many more plants that I fear you'll soon run out of places to put them *smile*.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been very, very busy ! Here we are also busy .our rhododendrons are in bloom and the Azalea is beautiful this year. Our first roses are blooming the purple roses. We are busy while we have bank holidays and my husband does not work, so many things to do!
    I wish you a good week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that a stop at SB was on the list. Happy Planting.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.