Monday, June 16, 2008

Lush Life

Saturday we were pleased to open our garden to fellow members of the Northwest Perennial Alliance. We have done this for many years, often with few visitors. This year we had a steady stream of gardeners, all of whom had high praise for our efforts. And I must say, the garden has never looked better. It was an honor to be able to share it. Sunday I started the day in a spot of sun in the garden, listening to birdsong. Then we went to see some other gardens and spent much of the day prowling around the beautiful Snoqualmie Valley, between Seattle and the Cascade Mountains. We saw some lovely gardens, did a little antique shopping and garden nursery hopping, and loved the drive through the lush green valley, away from city and suburbia. Sunday evening we joined our son, daughter and grandchildren for dinner out to celebrate Father's Day. We had a very special weekend, but it only got better today. Jill and the kids were back with us after their weekend on Whidbey Island and we had the whole day here in the sunshine, playing, eating, napping and enjoying each other. The garden shed/playhouse saw lots of action and play dough cookery. The kids and I had a great time playing castles and dragons as we tramped through the secret pathways in the garden, using our imaginations to add drama, danger and adventure. Later we went to a nearby park and explored the trails through the green woods (like a forest, said Isaac) and played on the play structures. It was finally warm enough for lunch and a BBQ dinner outside on the patio. Yesterday my daughter and I were commenting on how much my life circumstances have changed from my early years in a two room house with no indoor plumbing to the lush life we lead now in comparison. We are truly fortunate, but once again I realize that it's in the sharing that we experience joy.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful surroundings and sunshine and family what a comibination. it is truly lush for one who lives in the deserts of utah. sounds like you had an exceptional father's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful surroundings and sunshine and family what a comibination. it is truly lush for one who lives in the deserts of utah. sounds like you had an exceptional father's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your early garden days --shopping for rhodies, planning it all out. What a transformation. It looks wonderful. And how lovely to be able to share it and enjoy it with visiting gardeners and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda
    I love ur lush garden v.v.v.much, it's a wow. I wish I hv somethin like this but the climate doesnt tolerate wif me :(

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.