Thursday, October 9, 2008

It's Time...

The front porch has been overflowing with the lush growth of the fancy leaf geraniums Tom loves to collect and propagate. But with the last two wind storms causing them to sprawl, the rain, the colder temps, and the fact that very little sun now strikes the front porch, it was time to clear away the look of summer .
There are plenty of cuttings in the greenhouse to supply the plants for next summer. Tom has been busy.
I did feel sort of like a murderer as I ripped out the luscious growth and removed it to the compost heap. Well, it's tidier, but it looks bare now. The porch needs some repair and new paint, but we'll get to that later.
I think it needs some pumpkins and chrysanthemums!
The tomatoes were slow to ripen this year, another effect to the weird weather we had last spring, but they are now racing the first frost and doing their best. It was 40 this morning and our high today is 51, but we could go well into November without a frost here in our maritime climate. You never know. We have been enjoying home grown tomatoes every day since early September. Yum!
The rest of the vegetable garden is shutting down, but I got a few more cucumbers. We have enjoyed sharing our produce with the neighbors. We'll miss this abundance when it's gone.

7 comments:

  1. wish I lived closer would love some fresh garden tomatoes....looks like you enjoying the work in your yard and you have a greenhouse-how fun. Show your porch after you get it decorated with pumpkins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i would love to have some home grown tomatoes i can almost taste them. And what a lovely garden you have... with all those beautiful flowers. can't grow much here.
    Snowing as i type this winter is really early this yr. here in Bend

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, but I felt like a killer as hubby and I were taking some of our summer stuff out. We have had a frost and some areas are freeze. The tomatoes look wonderful and I envy your greenhouse...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tomatoes look wonderful!
    I love your greenhouse. Do you have plants lights in there? I wondered if they would get enough light otherwise.
    My daughter went to Salmon Days in Issaquah with some friends last weekend. They had a wonderful time. She's promised me pictures.
    I still have the air conditioning on here in Florida. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What wonderful tomatoes and cucumbers! And your husband enjoys propagating. Plants and gardening can be a very enjoyable activity. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. The earlier comments are totally in sync with my thoughts! Those tomatoes look like they ought to be taken to the fair. Ours were also sloooow to ripen, and now we've had a couple of nights of frost so, it's so long until next summer, I'm afraid. sob!

    Omagosh!! Your yard looked like a fairy tale with all of those plants. I'll bet they were exquisite in bloom! Like Lin, I'm hoping you'll let us see what you do next with your porch. Your home just looks like the perfect place to kick off your shoes, have a cup of hot brew, and engage in lively conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual your yard is so beautiful. I love the pictures and am so impressed. I know how much work it takes to do this. Beautiful tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.