Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Crops

Monday we picked our first handful of strawberries. We haven't grown strawberries for more that twenty years, giving up on them because it was a constant struggle with the birds and slugs eating them above ground and the weevils eating them below ground. But last year we put in a few new plants. Our first crop, small but tasty.
Today we picked a few more berries, and our first vegies from the garden. The carrots, eaten raw, were so sweet. The beets and beet greens were wonderful.
As much as I like ornamental gardening, there is something even more special about growing a vegetable patch. From sprouting the seeds to watching the plants mature to finally getting an edible crop, it's all such a wonder, and keeps you close to the earth that sustains us.

7 comments:

  1. wow and you have time to garden too. what a lovely yard. fun to see your crop...I just love fresh strawberries most store bought one have no flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love shots of your garden, it's lovely! And the strawberries look yummy! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it must be so satisfying!! I love your garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice harvest. I came home to lots of early girl tomatoes and ripe nectarines. It is interesting how different the harvest is in different areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is so impressive! I wish, I wish we could have a veggie garden. The berries look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow..and I am waiting for just one tomato and you have all that..LOL...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.