Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Here We Go, Sounders!

-photo by Markus Kemp
For those of you who often wonder what I'm talking about when I carry on about tifo, here is an example from last Saturday's match. The largest panel is called an overhead, and is rolled out over the heads of the seated fans for about two minutes, between the National Anthem and the first kick.
-
Then you see rail banners and flags. Son Jake and friend Joe are responsible for most of the tifo. A few of the flags are ones I made, with Jake's help. The week before this match I resewed the seams on the big white panel and the Full 90 banner.
-
The North End Supporters are a small group of fans who are trying to get more involvement in team support on their end of the field. If you've ever watched a match here in Seattle, I'm sure you've seen the Emerald City Supporters in the south end. They're the large group of singing, chanting, bouncing, flag waving fans you can hear all over the stadium.
-
Our seats are just out of camera range to the right in this photo. We're not under the overheads, but we're waving our flags! It all just adds to the fun!

10 comments:

  1. I sat at Aloha Stadium twice in my life: once for my younger daughter's graduation, and once for a UH football scrimmage.

    NEVER AGAIN!!! I hated the hard seats and having to stay still for hours. And not only that, but having to brave the wind and rain. I guess I am basically an indoors kind of person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you make that big one??? I think this looks like tons of fun, and I'm so impressed with your ability to sew. Even more now that I'm barely able to make curtains! (yet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the picture. It made a world of difference for those of us trying to understand what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK then! Now I'm mightily impressed! That is huge! Now that's what I call fan support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see the results of all that hard work. The team must really get a boost with you all there to support them so heartily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an undertaking! You must feel good, though to see your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now we know what you guys have been up to. Very neat. I hope the team appreciates it. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cool :)

    a sporting even is so much more fun when you're involved heart and soul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am glad you showed us what the banners are all about, and they are amazing. You certainly support your team mightily!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.